About to purchase and need some help

Started by brewerpac, September 24, 2009, 08:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Coop

With all those good eats and adult beverages it sounds like holloween weekend is going to be the place to be but with no JD what am I going to drink  ;D

brewerpac

OU812,

Do you prefer the black label Jack or Gentleman Jack? I'm sure that there will be one or the other or both on hand.
Not to be blasphemous, but I prefer George Dickel, and have a bottle in my liquor cabinet now. However, I would never turn down some Jack. :D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: brewerpac on October 06, 2009, 09:15:44 AM
Hey all,

Thanks for all of the great suggestions about which woods to use and which smokeable edibles to try next.

What I don't get to this coming weekend, I'll keep in mind for Halloween weekend when we're planning a big BBQ with some of the neighbors.  My buddy up the street, who competes in a BBQ competition at the Jersey shore every summer, will be manning his Big Green Egg and I of course will be getting the Bradley working early in the day and also using my Weber gas grill as needed.  There may be some mesquite involved that weekend! Definitely the Jim Beam will be employed.
And, Arnie, I'm sure that the adult beverages will be a factor, for better or worse (but with some Belgian Trappist ales, IPAs, an imperial stout or two, some Zinfandel, single malts, and rye whiskey, either neat or by way of Manhattan, it can only be for the better).

Hey CRG, 60 lbs of smoked/grilled food per month!!?? Wow, you are a good dad. Would you like to adopt a 45-yo man who is relatively housebroken? ;D

Glad to be a part of the Bradley community,

Coop

ok....but don't call me daddy.

OU812

Quote from: brewerpac on October 06, 2009, 02:06:30 PM
OU812,

Do you prefer the black label Jack or Gentleman Jack? I'm sure that there will be one or the other or both on hand.
Not to be blasphemous, but I prefer George Dickel, and have a bottle in my liquor cabinet now. However, I would never turn down some Jack. :D

Black lable bout every night, just enough to take the edge off. Gentleman on the rocks when we are just enjoying the company of others in front of the fire.

Cant say I have ever had George Dickel. What would it be, burbon ?

brewerpac

It's the other Tennessee whiskey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Dickel

When I was a kid growing up in Baltimore in the late 60s/early 70s, I used to hear the adults talking about it, so it must have been more popular in my family than JD. 
But my preferred whiskey type is straight rye, which I also owe to my Baltimore roots. My dad always had a bottle on hand of Pikesville Supreme Straight Rye Whiskey, which used to be made in Maryland, but is now made in Kentucky by Heaven Hill, which does a great job with it.
If you've never had rye, I recommend it for a change of pace.  Pikesville is very good and extremely reasonable in price, but there are ryes out there, just like bourbons, that go for upwards of $150/bottle!
If somebody has some to share, I'll surely go for it, but otherwise I'll stick with my Pikesville rye in the 1.75 L bottle for $20.

CRG, if you were sending me 60 lbs of food a month, I'd be glad to call you anything you like, sir! ;D

OU812

Quote from: brewerpac on October 06, 2009, 02:46:29 PM

If you've never had rye, I recommend it for a change of pace. 

That I will do, any one that knows this much about there whiskey I will follow there recommendation. Now, to see if I can find it.

Tiny Tim

Quote from: OU812 on October 06, 2009, 03:05:18 PM

That I will do, any one that knows this much about there whiskey I will follow there recommendation. Now, to see if I can find it.

Might I recommend one from your neighbor state, Iowa?  Templeton Rye is a good, smooth drink, but be careful, it is potent.  Granted, I had the bootleg version, but after about 3 ounces, I could not feel my feet, and I am a big guy who had never felt the effects of alcohol prior to that.  Oh, I drank before that, but never felt it.

OU812

Quote from: Tiny Tim on October 06, 2009, 03:48:36 PM
Quote from: OU812 on October 06, 2009, 03:05:18 PM

Might I recommend one from your neighbor state, Iowa?  Templeton Rye is a good, smooth drink, but be careful, it is potent.  Granted, I had the bootleg version, but after about 3 ounces, I could not feel my feet, and I am a big guy who had never felt the effects of alcohol prior to that.  Oh, I drank before that, but never felt it.

All these rye whiskey's out there and I have never seen them, must be tunnle vision when I get my new bottle. I'll see if I can find the Templeton also. Thanks Tim

ArnieM

I really enjoy all of these (haven't had most of what was mentioned) adult beverages.  But, my doctor told me to stop.  He said continuing to come to see him won't do me any good.  So, I did - I don't go to see him anymore.  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Arnie needs a new signature line he can turn on/off as needed! [EDIT]  :D

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on October 06, 2009, 04:23:36 PM
I really enjoy all of these (haven't had most of what was mentioned) adult beverages.  But, my doctor told me to stop.  He said continuing to come to see him won't do me any good.  So, I did - I don't go to see him anymore.  ;D ;D

Now that sounds like a good solution!  :D Like your way of thinking Arnie.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

This is a nice thread and I don't want to hijack it - well maybe just a little.

My son-in-laws parents came over from England and stayed with us for a few days - nice people.  They were intent on taking a 'drive' up to Niagara Falls - about 7 hours from here.  They went and enjoyed it.  Have you ever seen 400 "What I did on my summer vacation" pictures?

Anyway, for those of you as old as I, I had to give them this old film clip.  Now, I promise I'll go away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr6VBg1SiYI
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

My favorite Abbot and Castello scene is "Who's on first".

It cracks me up every time.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

brewerpac

I remember seeing the "Slowly I Turn" bit on I Love Lucy.  My favorite Abott & Costello movie is Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Regarding the Templeton Rye, I guess I'll have to wait until the next time that I'm in Chicago, because i hear that it's only available in Iowa and Illinois.  But I've heard that it's real good.

ArnieM

Quote from: brewerpac on October 07, 2009, 02:08:21 PM
Regarding the Templeton Rye, I guess I'll have to wait until the next time that I'm in Chicago, because i hear that it's only available in Iowa and Illinois.  But I've heard that it's real good.

Here ya go.  Remember, Google is your friend  ;D  http://www.internetwines.com/rws37019.html
-- Arnie