About to purchase and need some help

Started by brewerpac, September 24, 2009, 08:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Quarlow on October 09, 2009, 12:25:13 PM

Well BrewerPac you will love this one I just heard on the radio yesterday. A truckdriver in Ontario was pulled over and given a $300. fine for smoking in the workplace. It seems that a cop saw him smoking in the cab of his truck while going down the highway. Now in Canada they have band smoking in the workplace but that is stretching it to the limit.

Now that is ludicrous. Unbelievable.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Quarlow

Yeah that is close to some kind of marshall law.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

You know Q, that is not just like Marshall law it is one hell of swindle.

Here we have governments that grant tobacco companies licenses to make cigarettes, tax their products through the roof and the fine the end user for smoking in public. If that is not a scam, I don't know what is.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caneyscud

Quote from: Quarlow on October 09, 2009, 12:35:59 PM
Yeah that is close to some kind of marshall law.
Not just marshall law, but Tennessee law.  If more than one person is in a company owned vehicle, smoking is banned - fine is rather steep.  Technically the vehicle is supposed to have the same "no smoking" signage as a building is supposed to.  You gotta know that very much tobacco is grown, sold, and processed here in Tennessee. One of our larger industries.  The other recent democracktic nobel prize winner - that Gore dude, you know the one who cried because his sister died from lung cancer - well his farm and his family used to produce quite a bit of tobacco.  Also has a zinc mine on the farm that is pretty darn close (measured in yards not miles) next to my favorite fishing river, that has to be polluting the river, but nobody investigates it.  Technically he leases it to  a large contributer to his and clinton's campaigns for reportedly almost nothing - payoff?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

brewerpac

Amen to all of that.  And KevinG, you're right about smoke cookers- I hope that they stay away and don't attempt to regulate another one of life's simple pleasures.

OU812,

Sorry about that- ETOH- medical shorthand for alcohol, as in history of alcohol abuse- H/O ETOH abuse- not talking about myself here, but with all of my recent posts about whiskey, you might think so  :D.  Arnie pegged it with the ethanol.

Just to keep this ETOH/alcohol thing going, I seem to remember a nice brewpub in Omaha that we ate at back in 2000 when my wife, infant son, and I were moving cross-country from Portland to Baltimore called the Upstream Brewing Company. I had a great steak there, of course.
Have you ever been there?

I might be tempted to combine my rye whiskey mission with stop by there for a pint, but on a Friday night, it might be a bit too hairy. Boy, I'm showing my domesticated middle-agedness when i'm talking about avoiding Friday-night happy hours!

But see what you can come up with the ryes. They each have slightly different tastes, but are usually divided along the lines of Pennsylvania versus Maryland style (even though almost all made exclusively in Kentucky now).  While I really like Pikesville and Wild Turkey ryes, I have a buddy (a bourbon drinker for the most part, but at heart a lover of Jack Daniel's even to the point of being a member of the Tennessee Squires) who really likes the Sazerac rye, but doesn't care for the Rittenhouse.

Here's a good article from the NY Times, which, while it's from 2004, gives a good history of rye and your favorite, JD:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/17/dining/17WHIS.html

Good luck on your mission,

Coop

OU812

Thanks for the info brew, just got back from my mission and found
Old Overholt, Rittenhouse, Wild Turkey,Jim Beam and one that just had R I on the bottle. I chose the Rittenhouse, now after reading your post that your bourbon drinking buddy dont care for the Rittenhouse I wounder how I will.
Oh well I'm still going to have a nice glass of it on the rocks tonight.

As for the Pikesville, again, no luck, this store told me to try over in Iowa.

Yes I have ben to the Upstream Brewing Co. and yes they have dam good food and yes I have tried some of there micro brews but mostly the wheat and honey wheat and an amber, going to have to try an rye next time, dont much care for the ale a little to robust for my taste.

Thanks for opening my eyes on the other stuff, now that my kids are growed up I can restock my wet bar, well after I make another one. Had to get rid of it many moons ago. The wife didnt want that stuff around the kids, long story.

ArnieM

I think we might need a new forum people.  It would have darned little to with smoking.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on October 09, 2009, 03:43:51 PM
I think we might need a new forum people.  It would have darned little to with smoking.  ;D

Ya but it has to do with what we do when we are smoking.  8)

brewerpac

Hey OU812 and Arnie,

I think we're right on track with the direction this thread has taken.  I'm trying out the cold smoke adaptor with a couple of small blocks of cheese and having a nice cold IPA right now.  And now I'm about to move onto to an Octoberfest. My wife's running the Baltimore Half-marathon tomorrow so I'm doing some liquid carbo loading for her tonight.  I'll need the extra calories to cheer her on tomorrow. :D  After all, what do the monks call the beer they brew to drink during their Lenten fasts, but "liquid bread?"

Speaking of the better half, my wife said something tonight that I just have to share. After chuckling at me for heading right outside to get the Bradley set up as soon as I got home from work tonight, even before I got any dinner or my traditional Friday evening cocktail, she said, "I really like the smell of that smoker."  Merry Christmas. I told her that was good because I'm not giving up the smoker.

OU, glad that you got the Rittenhouse. Even though my buddy doesn't like it, I do, even though it's totally different than the Pikesville. Let me know what you think. I avoided the RI just because it's a bit too expensive and I kinda like my liquor with a bit of history and tradition, not so cutting edge hip. But that's just me.

OU812

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.