Double smoked duck breast.

Started by manxman, August 30, 2009, 01:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rensho

That's some great looking Duck Manx.  I've been smoking breasts for a whild and they're always a major hit.  You might wanna try making duck breast ham and smoking it.  Sliced thin it is great to serve at an apero.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Caneyscud

In honor of our beloved Double 'M'  

My magniloquent mawkish melodramatic musing must mention the magnificent meal of marinated Muscovy, not Mallard, Mandarin, nor Merganser,  not merely manipulated and molded, but memorialized by our merry man-at-arms, mild mannered Manx Man, a modern man with moxie, much maligned yet meritorious, mindfully monitoring and managing the marvelously majestic meat machine, mollifying, modifying, not to mention metamorphosing the mighty muscle morsels, materializing a mondo, mind-blowingly moist and memorable meal, maddeningly melted into our mysterious, magnanimous memory always mindful of his mates and mulish merrymaking misguided miscreants meretriciously masquerading as model mastermind morale mentors, true mental mice, misunderstood meddling, moronic, muttonheaded muckraking malcontents, maligned, mocked with the misfortunate misleading mindset of moldy, muddled minds  mummified by mainlining methanol, moonshine, a mélange  of miscellaneous malty mishmash or a methuselah of a muted maroon merde meritage , mistaken for a magnum of mouth-fillingly musty yet meaty monocepage of Mendocino merlot, milking the mythical maxim, misbegotten, mournfully misrepresenting the moderate metaphysics of mundane, middle-of-the-road modesty in the make-believe marrow of makeshift mastery of moronic mythomanical mischief

Manx, that is some good looking duck - much better looking than what I did the other night - fingered, floured and fried!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

manxman

QuoteMy magniloquent mawkish melodramatic musing must mention the magnificent meal of marinated Muscovy, not Mallard, Mandarin, nor Merganser,  not merely manipulated and molded, but memorialized by our merry man-at-arms, mild mannered Manx Man, a modern man with moxie, much maligned yet meritorious, mindfully monitoring and managing the marvelously majestic meat machine, mollifying, modifying, not to mention metamorphosing the mighty muscle morsels, materializing a mondo, mind-blowingly moist and memorable meal, maddeningly melted into our mysterious, magnanimous memory always mindful of his mates and mulish merrymaking misguided miscreants meretriciously masquerading as model mastermind morale mentors, true mental mice, misunderstood meddling, moronic, muttonheaded muckraking malcontents, maligned, mocked with the misfortunate misleading mindset of moldy, muddled minds  mummified by mainlining methanol, moonshine, a mélange  of miscellaneous malty mishmash or a methuselah of a muted maroon merde meritage , mistaken for a magnum of mouth-fillingly musty yet meaty monocepage of Mendocino merlot, milking the mythical maxim, misbegotten, mournfully misrepresenting the moderate metaphysics of mundane, middle-of-the-road modesty in the make-believe marrow of makeshift mastery of moronic mythomanical mischief

That truly is a work of art in itself Caneyscud!  ;) :D

Quotemuch maligned

though this bit concerned me!   ::) ;) :D

QuoteYou might wanna try making duck breast ham and smoking it.  Sliced thin it is great to serve at an apero.

I like that idea Tom, I have the smoked duck I just did out with 3 or 4 of the friends I use as food tasters!!  :o They are always good to give me with honest opinions on how good or otherwise something is and how it can be improved!  ;D

Would like to try and get hold of some wild duck next.

Manxman

manxman

Got some feedback from 6 people now on this recipe, four say it is fine as it is whilst a couple reckon it could do with less smoke, maybe 2 - 3 hours cold and an hour hot smoked?

All personnel preference though, all the comments were otherwise very positive.  ;D

Just thought if anyone wanted to try it here on the forum some feedback may be useful, I do like my smoked food to be quite strongly smoked.  :)
Manxman

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Caneyscud on September 01, 2009, 10:12:47 AM
In honor of our beloved Double ‘M’ 

My magniloquent mawkish melodramatic musing must mention the magnificent meal of marinated Muscovy, not Mallard, Mandarin, nor Merganser,  not merely manipulated and molded, but memorialized by our merry man-at-arms, mild mannered Manx Man, a modern man with moxie, much maligned yet meritorious, mindfully monitoring and managing the marvelously majestic meat machine, mollifying, modifying, not to mention metamorphosing the mighty muscle morsels, materializing a mondo, mind-blowingly moist and memorable meal, maddeningly melted into our mysterious, magnanimous memory always mindful of his mates and mulish merrymaking misguided miscreants meretriciously masquerading as model mastermind morale mentors, true mental mice, misunderstood meddling, moronic, muttonheaded muckraking malcontents, maligned, mocked with the misfortunate misleading mindset of moldy, muddled minds  mummified by mainlining methanol, moonshine, a mélange  of miscellaneous malty mishmash or a methuselah of a muted maroon merde meritage , mistaken for a magnum of mouth-fillingly musty yet meaty monocepage of Mendocino merlot, milking the mythical maxim, misbegotten, mournfully misrepresenting the moderate metaphysics of mundane, middle-of-the-road modesty in the make-believe marrow of makeshift mastery of moronic mythomanical mischief

Manx, that is some good looking duck - much better looking than what I did the other night - fingered, floured and fried!

I agree... I think.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Buckeye

Manxman - the photos looked great so I called a chef friend at a local restaurant and he sold me a dozen breasts.  Followed your recipe through the brine stage but was rushed for time for the smoke.  Anyway, smoked them with apple for a total of 3 hours; first hour at about 120F, then gradually increased to around 200F over the next 2 hours.  Internal temp was 152F (chef recommended 145F, you said 160F - compromised at 152F).  Cooled slightly and flash-fried as recommended (this is important, I think).

Results - by far the best thing to come out of the smoker yet (although I've only had it for a couple months).  Passed a few out to the chef and his staff.  Chef said it was the best duck he's ever had and is going to buy a Bradley next week!

Thanks for the recipe - it's a keeper!

Jeff in Ohio

manxman

QuoteChef said it was the best duck he's ever had and is going to buy a Bradley next week!

Great to have some positive feedback Buckeye, thanks for the post.  :)

I think there is probably a good bit of leeway on smoking times and internal temperature in this recipe, I would certainly have no problem using 145F as the cut off providing I knew the source of the duck.

Next time I do this recipe I plan on knocking the temp back a bit to nearer 150F.

Manxman

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

I have a couple of whole ducks lurking in the freezer. The last time I tried whole duck I finished it off in the oven but I don't think I let it cook long enough in the oven--not as for as the internal temp goes--the duck was done but it was still really greasy. I love the taste of duck (grew up on wild duck)but I have to reduce the grease factor somewhat with these domestic ones.
T2

ArnieM

Thanks for the duck manxman.  I've had duck in my head since I got the BS.  This will likely push me over the edge but I'll probably have to go with whole duck.  Well, I can give it a shot.  Habs, I've already bookmarked the recipe.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

Arnie;

The updated recipe data base is now posted on the recipe website, that new download includes Manxman's Double Smoked Duck Breast Recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Thanks Habs.  Yeah, that's the one I book marked.

I think I have to change my signature - "So much to smoke and so little time!"
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ExpatCanadian

Jeez...  don't know how I missed this one when it was originally posted. Looks incredible!  I can get duck breasts locally from a reliable source, so I think this could be my next "new" smoke....!

The last duck I ate was a crispy critter at a Chinese restaurant in Soho in London...  delicious, but not what I'd call gourmet!  The time before that was a long time ago and ones I shot myself back on the farm!  Again...  ok, but not great (plus spitting out birdshot is never pleasant!!)