Chinese 5 spice rubbed turkey

Started by squirtthecat, September 25, 2009, 04:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

That really is some great looking turkey squirt.  I really have to try that rub mix.  I think the key is finding a quality 5 spice powder to start with.  I've had some in the past that I didn't care for at all.  We're all waitin' to see it sliced and for the taste test.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the taste test as well.  I almost carved into it last night, but I know now that an overnight rest in the fridge helps the smoke+flavors disperse throughout the meat.

This is the 5 spice I used.   I really don't have anything to compare it to.

http://www.farawayfoods.com/fivespices.html

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on September 27, 2009, 08:26:39 AM
That really is some great looking turkey squirt.  I really have to try that rub mix.  I think the key is finding a quality 5 spice powder to start with.  I've had some in the past that I didn't care for at all.  We're all waitin' to see it sliced and for the taste test.

Arnie, if you get to Hartford or Norwalk, check out Penzeys's Spices. The have retail stores in both cities. I try to buy most of my spice from them as I think their quality is great. Here's a link to their website. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Thanks for the link HS.  Norwalk isn't that far away.  I might give it a shot.  I looked through their site and catalog.  Some nice recipes in there too.
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on September 27, 2009, 08:51:20 AM
Thanks for the link HS.  Norwalk isn't that far away.  I might give it a shot.  I looked through their site and catalog.  Some nice recipes in there too.

I forgot, they have a great catalog that you sign up for. Lot's of recipes and ideas in it and comes every 2 or 3 months.
HawkeyeSmokes

Caribou

Great job Squirt!
Those are some pretty photogenic turkey breast there  :D
They're just beautiful with the netting marks.
Carolyn

squirtthecat

We got hungry and couldn't wait until tomorrow, so we sliced into the fatter end of the 5 Spice one for sammys..

TASTY!   Nice and juicy.   That'll be my new favorite way to smoke turkey.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Squirt. I just got back from the supermarket where I bought a 2.5 pound of turkey. Couldnt find them in the net like yours. All the netted ones were already smoked. I will have to wrap it in a butcher twine to get the net effect. Will be smoking that tomorrow along with my first ABTs.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

Squirt, describe the taste so we can dream.

squirtthecat

Hard to explain...   Not spicy hot.   Just 'nice'.  There is a bit of cinnamon/sugar and a little pepper.  You smell it as much as your taste it..

HR, can you explain what your chicken tasted like?

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 27, 2009, 02:19:40 PM

I don't think HR has smoked her "chicken" yet, if you're referring to the turkey.
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on September 27, 2009, 02:24:12 PM

I don't think HR has smoked her "chicken" yet, if you're referring to the turkey.
I think squirt was referring to my Friday night salmon, chicken and rack of lamb dinner.
Sure squirt. I was Aromatic, and not just that. The combination of spices formed of medley of tastes, a Hodge pudge if you will. Eating such a medley, confuses your taste buds to a point were sweet, tangy and hot tastes form a new delicacy your buds get to know for the first time. I have had six meals since then, but still can taste that "feeling" still.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

Yeah, what he said...

Short version:   VERY GOOD.

classicrockgriller

Thanks squirt. Dang, another thing on the todo list.

squirtthecat

HR, what it in the C5S that you used?