Kielbasa

Started by BigJohnT, September 25, 2009, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I'm in the same boat as the other guys, mix, stuff, out on the drying rack, put the rack in the fridge and pull out in the morning then place a fan it front of the rack wile the smoker is coming up to temp.

With collagen casings you have to get the dark mahogany ones to be able to hang, the manila ones are to thin and will break. I use the manila ones when doing brats and sausage like that then place on the racks.

Also to keep the collagen fresh put in a ziplock bag and keep in the fridge, keeps them from drying out, when they get dry they tend to burst.

BigJohnT

Thanks for all the input... Hog casings here we come  ;D

Thanks
John

smokeitall

I think you should stuff tonight, smoke tomorrow and send half home with me for testing  ;D

OU812

Quote from: smokeitall on September 28, 2009, 07:35:05 PM
I think you should stuff tonight, smoke tomorrow and send half home with me for testing  ;D

I'll test the other half  ;D

Mr Walleye

Quote from: OU812 on September 29, 2009, 05:42:16 AM
Quote from: smokeitall on September 28, 2009, 07:35:05 PM

I'll test the other half  ;D

John

Ya better make a second batch if you want to try any!  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

BigJohnT

Butcher & Packer is fast but not that fast  ;D

You all will have to wait... I still need to make a custom stuffer tube for ME  :o

John

Tenpoint5

Got that Kielbasa smoking yet John? Sounds like my works are gonna be cut so I may just have to make some sausage myself.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

BJT, I know a guy who make custom stuffer tubes.... LOL

BigJohnT

I better hurry the hog casing will be here tomorrow. I have a load of work piled up too...

John

BigJohnT

The hog casings are here! After reading the natural casing section of Rytek's book (loaned to me by a friend) I'm thinking that I'm doing 10 lbs of Kielbasa so I need to take about 10% more or less of the casings from the hank and prep them for the stuffing party.

The rest go in a zippy bag and into the refrigerator?

Ok, say I have a couple left over... what do I do with them?

So the basic procedure as I understand it at the moment is rinse inside and out, place in a container of cold water and put into the refrigerator overnight for use the next day. You want them to be wet or moist when you slide them on the horn. Not much pressure when you stuff. Does this sound more or less correct.

Hey Scott wanna show me how to stuff kielbasa?

For the 32/35mm casings I need to make a 3/4 OD stuffing tube as far as I can tell.

Thanks
John

Mr Walleye

Hey John

I'm assuming your casings are salted and if they are pretty much right on the money. If you have some left over just squeeze out as much moisture as possible and salt them and store in the fridge with the others. They will keep almost indefinitely this way.

One other thing you can do with your casings is to add a shot of vinegar to the soaking water. This helps ensure the casings on the finished product are not tough.

You'll quickly learn how much you can stuff them before they split. If you do have a blow out it's not a big deal.

The 3/4 inch tube should work fine for you.

Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

John, here's some good answers to FAQuestions About Natural Casings from Allied Kenco.
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

Hi Mike,

Yes, the casings are packed in salt. They are from Butcher & Packer. By salt them do you mean add some salt to them then place them back in the package with the others? Do you add the vinegar to the overnight soak water?

Hi HS,

Thanks for the FAQ's the more information the better.

Thanks
John

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey John, I really like that info from Allied Kenco. It's one of the better one's I have read about natural casings.
HawkeyeSmokes

Mr Walleye

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 01, 2009, 06:22:15 PM
Hi Mike,

Yes, the casings are packed in salt. They are from Butcher & Packer. By salt them do you mean add some salt to them then place them back in the package with the others? Do you add the vinegar to the overnight soak water?

Hi HS,

Thanks for the FAQ's the more information the better.

Thanks
John

I use Kosher salt. I just put them in a bag, salt them fairly heavily (similar to the amount of salt on them when you got them) and store them in the fridge. Usually just pack them with my other unused casings although some people keep them in a separate bag but I have never had a problem.

The vinegar does go in with the water for the overnight soak. You can also use lemon juice. I usually just go with a splash of vinegar though.

Mike