Kielbasa

Started by BigJohnT, September 25, 2009, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Mr Walleye on October 01, 2009, 06:46:11 PM
Quote from: BigJohnT on October 01, 2009, 06:22:15 PM
Hi Mike,

Yes, the casings are packed in salt. They are from Butcher & Packer. By salt them do you mean add some salt to them then place them back in the package with the others? Do you add the vinegar to the overnight soak water?

Hi HS,

Thanks for the FAQ's the more information the better.

Thanks
John

I use Kosher salt. I just put them in a bag, salt them fairly heavily (similar to the amount of salt on them when you got them) and store them in the fridge. Usually just pack them with my other unused casings although some people keep them in a separate bag but I have never had a problem.

The vinegar does go in with the water for the overnight soak. You can also use lemon juice. I usually just go with a splash of vinegar though.

Mike

Mike has you right. Using vinegar or lemon juice works. It' the acid in either one that breaks down the protein in the casing to make it more tender. And kosher salt is the way to go. It's all I use unless I make popcorn.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

smokeitall

When I use natural casings I take what I need out of the package and using warm (not hot) water I rinse them inside and out.  I leave them rest in warm water for about 1 hour before stuffing.

Whats the reason for the overnight soak?

Hey John, if you want help, I will down there on Thursday.  I just picked up some more pork butt from Shnucks this weekend for .89 / lb.  So I think I will have to also give this recipe a try soon.

SIA

Mr Walleye

SIA

I have done both an over night soak and as little as an hour just depending on how organized I am. Both work fine.

I just did another 80 lbs of Kielbasa this weekend. I did the over night soak with vinegar and I was a little disappointed. It definitely makes them more tender but I think to us vinegar over night is too much. I had to be careful when stuffing or they would burst. So for me, I will only use the vinegar trick on shorter soak times.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

BigJohnT

Hey Scott,

If you think you will have time we can do the one hour soak and then stuff.

I think I'm ready...

John

BigJohnT

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the tip... don't need exploding casings on my first try  :o

Thanks
John

Tenpoint5

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 04, 2009, 02:13:13 PM
Hey Mike,

Thanks
John

You have to blow up one!!! It's required in the Learning Curve.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 04, 2009, 06:31:12 PM
Quote from: BigJohnT on October 04, 2009, 02:13:13 PM
Hey Mike,

Thanks
John

You have to blow up one!!! It's required in the Learning Curve.

Been there, done that!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

Ok, I'll blow one up just to learn the limits of the hog casings.

John

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 04, 2009, 07:09:07 PM
Ok, I'll blow one up just to learn the limits of the hog casings.

John

ROFL  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

I'll have Scott take a video of the explosion in slow motion so we can all get the full effect in real time slow motion.  ;D

John

smokeitall

I don't think you will have to try and blow one up...it just happens.  Nice looking set of tubes there!!!  See you tomorrow.

pensrock

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 04, 2009, 07:13:33 PM
I'll have Scott take a video of the explosion in slow motion so we can all get the full effect in real time slow motion.  ;D

John

Its not really an explosion. More like a rupture. The casing splits and the meat pours out. When it happens back off on the stuffer pressure so too much meat does not come out.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pensrock on October 08, 2009, 06:40:35 AM
Quote from: BigJohnT on October 04, 2009, 07:13:33 PM

John

Its not really an explosion. More like a rupture. The casing splits and the meat pours out. When it happens back off on the stuffer pressure so too much meat does not come out.

You forgot the cuss words that come almost at the exact same time!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

QuoteYou forgot the cuss words that come almost at the exact same time!!!

Oh, I did not forget but this is a family site.  ;D ;D ;D