Kielbasa

Started by BigJohnT, September 25, 2009, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

They tasted great. The casings are a little tough... other than starting too late in the day and having to stay up way past my bed time it was good. I think some brats are next up for stuffing.

Thanks
John

OU812

ARE WE HAVEING FUN YET ?

That looks great for your first batch, what a great sense of accomplishment when you get your first batch done. Isn't it?

BigJohnT

Next time the Kielbasa goes in the smoker before breakfast not after lunch... It was not bad once it was over with...

But next up is some swiss brats.

John

OU812

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 12, 2009, 04:57:20 PM
Next time the Kielbasa goes in the smoker before breakfast not after lunch... It was not bad once it was over with...

But next up is some swiss brats.

John

Maybe next time make your sausage the night b4 and lay out on your racks to dry in the fridge over night that way your ready in the morning. Then when you wake up all you have to do is shake off the hangover, fire up the smoker and pull the sausage out of the fridge to bring to room temp. Then smoke away.

BigJohnT

When I drink enough to have a hangover I usually forget my name and fall asleep... I try to avoid that.

However making the kielbasa the night before sounds like a very good plan.

I think I skipped the blooming process but can't remember... my wife woke up at 1:30 and I was asleep in my chair and the kielbasa was still in the sink full of water  :'( I think at that point I just put them in the fridge and went to bed.

Thanks
John

Tenpoint5

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 13, 2009, 07:46:31 AM
When I drink enough to have a hangover I usually forget my name and fall asleep... I try to avoid that.

I think I skipped the blooming process but can't remember... my wife woke up at 1:30 and I was asleep in my chair and the kielbasa was still in the sink full of water  :'( I think at that point I just put them in the fridge and went to bed.

Thanks
John

Pretty good guess then that you skipped the Blooming phase of the process. I aint even gonna ask if you took any pics when they came out of the smoker.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BigJohnT

I can't even remember if I did but I doubt it  ;)

John

OU812

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 13, 2009, 07:46:31 AM

Thanks
John

Well at least you got the important part done "cool the sausage" the blooming part is more for the color than anything.

BigJohnT

So to recap:

1 Started Too Late (know better now how long it takes)
2 Stuffed Too Little (I know how much is too little now)
3 Drank Too Much Wine (no comment)
4 Cooled Too Long (fell asleep in my chair, see item 3)
5 Bloomed Too Little (30 seconds from the sink to the fridge)

All in all it was a good experience and the kielbasa tasted good.

John

Tenpoint5

Quote from: BigJohnT on October 13, 2009, 08:12:03 AM
So to recap:

John
That's all that really matters!!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

So to recap:

John

YES all that matters is that it tastes gooood

Roadking

So to recap:

John

#4 Cooled Too Long (fell asleep in my chair, see item 3)   -   That's OK, you just want to get it below 110 degrees as quick as possible. Keeps the sausage from over cooking and getting wrinkled.

Next time when your cutting up the pork cut out all the fat and grind the fat twice through a 1/16" plater. The meat through a 3/8" plate. By doing the fat real fine it will mix with the binder better and fill into or around the meat and you get less air gaps.

BigJohnT

Roadking,

Thanks for that info. I cheated last time and used porkburger meat from the butcher shop. I didn't want a learning overload situation to erupt...

Thanks
John

Roadking

It's just something I picked up over the years. As long as it tastes good in the final product. Wife and I did 20 lbs. of it last weekend. 15 years ago I fell a sleep and destroyed the whole load.