Fresh Caught Salmon HELP

Started by NePaSmoKer, September 27, 2009, 03:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 27, 2009, 06:03:27 PM
Didnt have any cheap whiskey or JD so i had to improvise. A gift from a friend  ;D  (Didnt want to use everclear)

That's quite a friend you have!  I use the same stuff for barter/payment/birthday/christmas for a buddy of mine from KyNola's neck of the woods..

KyNola

Ah yes.  Maker's Mark is actually distilled about 2-2.5 hours away from me.  I have a barrel at the distillery with my name engraved on the nameplate.  You can become an ambassador for Maker's Mark for free at their website.  They start sending you free stuff.  Some of it is actually pretty neat stuff.

KyNola

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on September 28, 2009, 06:43:50 AM
Ah yes.  Maker's Mark is actually distilled about 2-2.5 hours away from me.  I have a barrel at the distillery with my name engraved on the nameplate.  You can become an ambassador for Maker's Mark for free at their website.  They start sending you free stuff.  Some of it is actually pretty neat stuff.

KyNola

Yep, we've got one as well.

(not a great picture)
http://www.ambassador.makersmark.com/barrelpics/691415_1100.jpg

.. and I get their goodies in the mail.

NePaSmoKer

I got the salmon in and the maple smoke rolling  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 28, 2009, 06:49:05 AM
Quote from: KyNola on September 28, 2009, 06:43:50 AM

KyNola

Yep, we've got one as well.

(not a great picture)
http://www.ambassador.makersmark.com/barrelpics/691415_1100.jpg

.. and I get their goodies in the mail.

I just joined the Ambassadors club. My reserve is Nepas Reserve. Guess it can take some time to do.

nepas

dbrown1

That is looking good.... Man I need more fish  :P

NePaSmoKer

What should the IT of the salmon be at to be done?

nepas

Hopefull Romantic

Under normal smoking conditions it should be 140 - 145. With what you are doing, I dont have the foggiest idea.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

NePaSmoKer

ARRRRRR UUGGGGG FISH....................PU   ;D

nepas

ArnieM

As I said before, I've never even heard of it before.  But, here's a link to a recipe to dehydrate 'em.  I don't know if it'll help or not.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/shellfishrecipes/r/blsea143.htm
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

NePaSmoKer

Thanks Arnie

Just put the thermapen in some fish. IT is 97* smoker IT is 152*

Going to do 2 racks in the cabelas dehydrator at 110* and the other 2 keep in the smoker.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

KyNola

They are beginning to look really good.  I can almost smell them from here.  You are the king of smoking and I'm not at all trying to tell you your business but when I first did salmon like you are doing, I really welded some of it to the racks.  I hope yours doesn't stick.  I solved that issue by laying the high temp screens from Y&P on the racks before placing the salmon on there.  Can't do anything about it now but maybe for future reference.  ;)

Tell you what.  If it does stick and you break some of the pieces, send the broken ones to me as I know you wouldn't want defective smoked salmon strips laying around.

Larry

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on September 28, 2009, 01:11:30 PM
They are beginning to look really good.  I can almost smell them from here.  You are the king of smoking and I'm not at all trying to tell you your business but when I first did salmon like you are doing, I really welded some of it to the racks.  I hope yours doesn't stick.  I solved that issue by laying the high temp screens from Y&P on the racks before placing the salmon on there.  Can't do anything about it now but maybe for future reference.  ;)

Tell you what.  If it does stick and you break some of the pieces, send the broken ones to me as I know you wouldn't want defective smoked salmon strips laying around.

Larry

Larry you the man  ;D it did stick to the racks i have them on and they are supposed to be non stick. The racks are the oven jerky racks from cabelas. Didnt want to put the fish on the big expanded steel racks i made until they get a good coating of smoke on em.

nepas

dbrown1

Wish I could help with the IT thing but never made salmon Jerky for smoked looking at IT of 140 I believe.