Fresh Caught Salmon HELP

Started by NePaSmoKer, September 27, 2009, 03:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Rick,
I welded two different batches to my Bradley non-stick coated racks.  Ordered the Y&P screens right then and there after the second batch. :)
Larry

NePaSmoKer

Well here is some of the smoked salmon. I think i might have over done it but it does taste good  ;D

You smoked fish gurus please chime in and let me know what i should do different next time.

Guess my foodsaver has too much vac  :D bent the cardboard  :o and squished the fish. I have a slow moist setting and it did the same.

The ziplock hand vac bags work pretty good.

nepas

Kummok

Some of the pieces do look a little on the crispy side, Nepas but still look tasty to me. I think that you'll find after being vac sealed and frozen, the texture will even out a bit. If you still have some dry portions after sealing/freezing, just shake 'em up in a Ziploc with some blackening spices (I make my own from scratch but also like Chef Paul's Blackened Redfish Magic for a quicker easier mix), call 'em Krispy Kritters and you/your friends will love it!

dbrown1

Glad to hear the recipe worked out for ya.. Enjoy oh and not bad for a fish rookie, lol kidding they look mighty edible to me like Kummok said one side does look a bit done but he also said its real hard to screw up fish (paraphrasing of course)  ;D

KyNola

Hey Rick,
Looks like some of those strips are broken to me.  I told you to send the broken ones to me as I know you don't want defective strips laying around.  If you're concerned about some of it being over done, make some smoked salmon dip but at my house I'm eating those things as is.

Looks good to me.  Congrats Rick! ;) :D

Larry

squirtthecat

Mighty nice, Nepas!

Salmon burnt ends...    It's all good! :D

(send me what doesn't fit in KyNola's box)

ArnieM

No, no.  Me, Me!  I'll send a SASM (Self Addressed Salmon Mailer) to you.  I can properly dispose of all the bad stuff.   ;D ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

NePaSmoKer

The salmom jerky came out pretty good. Did 3 hours in the smokehouse and 9 in the dehydrator. Not bad for a salmon smoke virgin  ;D  :o

I cut the hard burnt ends off cuz they was poking holes in the vac bags  ;D

Will i do salmon jerky again? Yeah i think so. Maybe next time keep in the Dbrown1 marinade for 24 hours.

nepas

ArnieM

I'm still researching.  It looks like salmon jerky is also known as squaw candy.  Search on that and you'll get a lot of hits.  I've seen a site selling it.  You might have a gold mine there.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Or Indian candy is what they call it around here. It is generally pretty chewy and almost rubbery. But it peels of the skin real nice. I have never made it but have bought it. I will be looking for away to make it and will let you folks know the outcome.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Caribou

Quote from: Quarlow on September 28, 2009, 09:24:21 PM
Or Indian candy is what they call it around here. It is generally pretty chewy and almost rubbery. But it peels of the skin real nice. I have never made it but have bought it. I will be looking for away to make it and will let you folks know the outcome.
Quarlow,
I remember having Indian Candy in BC and it was very good.  I believe Bradley provides an Indian Candy recipe on one of those cards that back the pucks.

Nepas,
I'm very impressed with your smoked salmon, too.
Looks good to me!
Carolyn

dbrown1

Looks great, I think I might give that whole dehydrator thing a try... Glad you liked the recipe its the only thing I had a clue on when I joined  ;D ;D ;D

Tenpoint5

Looks great Nepas. My little brother has had a 80l in his basement for 3 yrs and doesn't use it much. I think after I beat on him for a little while, I'll take it from him!! I'll give it back when I'm done. That's what little brothers are for right! ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 29, 2009, 08:15:56 AM
Looks great Nepas. My little brother has had a 80l in his basement for 3 yrs and doesn't use it much. I think after I beat on him for a little while, I'll take it from him!! I'll give it back when I'm done. That's what little brothers are for right! ;D

:D  :D

Just whop him around, take it and keep it. If he comes back whop him again  ;D

nepas

OU812

Looks mighty tasty, but I'm wondering why you put cardboard in some of the packages.