What to do with the leftover smokey bones

Started by Smokeville, September 28, 2009, 08:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Our favourite recipe is smoked chicken salad.... my wife takes the chickens I smoke and chops the meat with mayo and mustard and some other stuff and it makes the best smoked chicken salad (on a bun) imaginable.

But last time she had a brainstorm and saved the chicken bones and then made chicken broth. The smokey flavour came right through into the broth and it ended up in the best roasted cauliflower soup we've ever had.

She did the same thing with beef ribs while making spaghetti sauce.

What is fun is that it makes these usually unsmoked recipes unique and when you serve them to company they wonder why they taste so good.

Does anyone else have any leftover recipes?

Regards, Rich

classicrockgriller

Rich, sounds like you and your wife compliment each other. That is some great ideas.   CRG

OU812

I do the same thing with the bones and skin when I smoke chicken and turkey, makes some of the bast chicken or turkey noodle soup.

I like to make Rubin sandwich's with left over brisket.

KyNola

Man I like the idea of smoked chicken stock for when I make gumbo.  It's almost gumbo season around my house.  Pretty typical Sunday during the Fall and Winter for me is making gumbo or red beans and rice or something along those lines.

Gonna have to give that smoked chicken stock a try.  Thanks for the tip!

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

I never thaught about that before. Ben throwing them bones to Zelda, our Doberman.

I will try it next time. Thank your wife on my behalf.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Smokeville

I'm getting hungry!

Tonight -- spaghetti with "smoked" sauce......

Ka Honu

Quote from: KyNola on September 28, 2009, 08:43:29 AM... It's almost gumbo season around my house.  

There's a season?  SWMBO requires that I make a pot a month (which provides a convenient excuse reason for going to New Orleans and buying 10-12 pounds of Andouille every year).

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 29, 2009, 08:28:11 AM
Quote from: KyNola on September 28, 2009, 08:43:29 AM... It's almost gumbo season around my house.  

There's a season?  SWMBO requires that I make a pot a month (which provides a convenient excuse reason for going to New Orleans and buying 10-12 pounds of Andouille every year).

Ka Honu

We keep forgetting... You don't have seasons!  ::)

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Ka Honu

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 29, 2009, 09:14:27 AM... We keep forgetting... You don't have seasons! 

Do too!  We've got salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, cumin, etc., just like the rest of you.

Oh, those seasons.  Well, we've got tourist season (still don't understand why you can't shoot them when they're in season), hurricane season, rainy season (Winter), the Four Seasons, and others.  So there!