My first post/smoke! (Lengthy post, with a few Q's at the end...)

Started by JayC, September 05, 2009, 01:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayC

Howdy all!  My Bradley Stainless Steel arrived yest via fed-ex, as we're having a get together at the house tomorrow, and I typically have something smoked to eat.  I used to use a walmart special 'water smoker' that I had to fill with charcol and wood chunks every few hours.

For the inaugural smoke - I've decided on a Pork Butt, a Brisket, and also a turkey breast.  I started the butt and brisket today around noonish (butt weighs 10.5 pounds, brisket at about 9.5) and have smoked them for about 5 hours using Mesquite (one more to go).  They're sitting in there now at the tail end of the smoke time at about 210-220 degrees and will be in there a while longer I'm sure.  I tend to prefer finishing them off in the smoker itself.

Prep wise - the butt I usually just rub right before i put it on the smoker.  Brisket, I rubbed last night at about 10pm and kept refrigerated, though I slathered on a little french's mustard before the rub.  Turkey breasts I am brining in a honey/salt/onion/clove brine - and it smells fantastic.  I'll put the turkey on tomorrow AM.

Now, on to the questions...

1 - Heat recovery time.  I heated the smoker up to about 270 degrees before putting the meats in - and it still took HOURS to get back to temp.  Normal I assume?  20 pounds of meat is a lot.  And it was cool - a little less then room temp.  Top vent is wide open, and I have the heat temp contrl slider all the way high.

2 - Order of meats.  I put the pork on the top rack, and the broisket under it.  Figured the fat from the fattier pork would self baste the brisket.  Anyone disagree or agree?

3 - Anyone in New Hampshire around?  I'm gonna have a LOT of food tomorrow. lol.

Glad to be here!

I did smoke about 4 hours yest after setting up the smoker to season it.

KyNola

Hey JayC,
Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you're right on track!.. The heat recovery time sounds correct.  Sounds like your friends are in for a great food fest!

KyNola

JayC

Thanks KyNola!  I figured from the reading I've done that it's pretty close to spot on.  I just am second guessing myself because there's literally no work involved here.  I would have been stoking the fire, cursing the wood chunks, worrying about temp cause my water 'smoker' had a temp gauge with 'low', 'good' and 'hot' on it rather than an actual temp.  It's hard to believe that I'm sitting on my deck, Chard in hand, and I'm truely smoking meats right now.

Shoulda bout one of these a long while ago.   ;D

squirtthecat

Quote from: JayC on September 05, 2009, 02:16:48 PM
Thanks KyNola!  I figured from the reading I've done that it's pretty close to spot on.  I just am second guessing myself because there's literally no work involved here.  I would have been stoking the fire, cursing the wood chunks, worrying about temp cause my water 'smoker' had a temp gauge with 'low', 'good' and 'hot' on it rather than an actual temp.  It's hard to believe that I'm sitting on my deck, Chard in hand, and I'm truely smoking meats right now.

Shoulda bout one of these a long while ago.   ;D

Don't make it sound easy!  You'll get the smackdown...   This is seriously HARD work as far as anyone is concerned...   ;)

KyNola

JayC,
Squirt has given you great advice.  This is hard work! Got it? ;) For that reason alone you need to stay properly hydrated.  A nice crisp Chard is a good way to solve that.  One of my favorite lines in a movie "If you're thristy a drink will cure it and if you're not a drink will prevent it".  I pretty much subscribe to that theory! :)

KyNola

JayC

Ok - so the Chard has me thinkin....

Times that are posted for items to cook - for example, about 1.5 hours at 220 for a Brisket - is that 1.5 hours at 220, or is that 1.5 hours from start to finish assuming you get to 220 as fast as you can?  I have a temp probe in the beef, and it's at 163 right now.  I know I'll hold at 180 forever before it moves much, but time wise, am I looking at 15ish total, or 15ish from when I hit 220?

Many thanks.  And I'm breaking a sweat now.  (Of course, that's the onions and garlic I'm sweating now for supper...  But I won't tell if you won't.)

KyNola

JC,
I'm not a good source of info when it comes to beef but here is what I know to be true on anything smoked.  Forget time.  It's done when it's done.  Just pay attention to the IT.  When it's where you want it to be, call it done.  My guess is the 1.5 hours you're referring to is total smoke/cook time per pound, as in 1.5 hours times number of pounds of the weight of your brisket.  That may be a nice way to estimate the total cook time but just watch the IT.

Sounds like you are doing well.  Time to crack another bottle of that crisp Chard and enjoy the smell coming out of your smoker.

<clink>  Cheers!
KyNola

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum, Has anyone given him the official swear in of the ease of the bradley smoking.
Mike

JayC

Mike - technically no, unless you consider hte copious amounts of wine I'm drinking, and the hot tubbing I'm doing, whilst I'm smoking dinner for tomorrow...

Anongicy73

Ya, hes almost back to normal today. Took three days to clear that stuff out of his system. Yuck

Its salmon this weekend, I can hardly wait Still just doing the basics though, a little cure and a bit of smoke.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 05, 2009, 06:34:12 PM
Welcome to the forum, Has anyone given him the official swear in of the ease of the bradley smoking.
Our resident expert on how to keep this all a secret Caneyscud should be along shortly
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pensrock

Quote from: JayC on September 05, 2009, 01:58:37 PM
Now, on to the questions...

1 - Heat recovery time.  I heated the smoker up to about 270 degrees before putting the meats in - and it still took HOURS to get back to temp.  Normal I assume?  20 pounds of meat is a lot.  And it was cool - a little less then room temp.  Top vent is wide open, and I have the heat temp contrl slider all the way high.

2 - Order of meats.  I put the pork on the top rack, and the broisket under it.  Figured the fat from the fattier pork would self baste the brisket.  Anyone disagree or agree?

3 - Anyone in New Hampshire around?  I'm gonna have a LOT of food tomorrow. lol.

Glad to be here!

I did smoke about 4 hours yest after setting up the smoker to season it.

Everything is totally screwed up! You better pack all the meats up and send them to me for a better inspection.  ::)

Actually it sounds like you are doing fine. I'm sure everyone will be very happy with the results.  :)
You may want to empty the water pan and refill after the smoking is done.
You do not want it filling with fat/grease and possibly catching fire.
You will get a good bit of liquid coming out and may want to put a foil pan on the bottom rack to catch it. Maybe someone else who finishes butts and brisket in the smoker will chime in on this. I only smoke them then move to the oven in the house to finish off.
Don't forget, all leftovers get vac packed, frozen and sent to pensrock.  ;) ;D

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Pachanga

I'm still waiting for the lengthy post and so is Caneyscud.

Good luck and here's to a long post,

Pachanga