Extension Cord

Started by gateso, September 28, 2009, 11:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gateso

I have to add an extension cord to my OBS because of the location of my electrical outlets. I have read that I should have an extension cord no longer than 6 Feet and to be 12 gauge. I have found it just about impossible to locate a 6 foot or less, 12 gauge extension cord. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

classicrockgriller

Well I know they make them and they might be longer....cut one end off and re-wire it. (ie new plug end)
OR, make an extention out of 12 ga house wire. Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum.   CRG

Mr Walleye

Gateso

I would go to a hardware store. They usually have rolls of wire that are sold by the foot. Just buy enough to do what you need and install your own ends.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Also...

I have seen a number of short extention cords for window style air conditioners that are rated fairly high as well.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 28, 2009, 12:25:33 PM
Gateso

I would go to a hardware store. They usually have rolls of wire that are sold by the foot. Just buy enough to do what you need and install your own ends.

Mike

I agree and sorry CRG I just hate re - wiring. Had a house wire once because of that and therefore... custom made.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

I find with 12 gauge you can easily use 10 - 15 foot cords. I'm using a 10 foot extension cord with no problems. If you live in a cold climate, get the cord that is made for cold weather. The ones made for outdoor use in cold weather are usually blue. They remain amazingly flexible in weather well into the teens.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HawkeyeSmokes

Look for a heavy duty appliance cord. If your going to keep it under 10' I would think that 14 ga would be fine.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 28, 2009, 02:06:28 PM
Gateso

Mike

I agree and sorry CRG I just hate re - wiring. Had a house wire once because of that and therefore... custom made.

HR

HUH?

Caribou

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 29, 2009, 12:14:46 AM
Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 28, 2009, 02:06:28 PM
Gateso

Mike

HR

HUH?

HR meant a fire.  A fire caused by a wire.
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

Ohhhhhh. Sorry HR, I should'a figured that one out. Thanks Mrs Caribou for the clarification.

gateso

Thanks for your suggestions. I found myself an 8 foot 14 gauge extension cord and hope it works OK when I smoke a pork butt this weekend.

pensrock

I use a 12 foot 14 ga. cord with no problems at all.

westexasmoker

Quote from: pensrock on September 29, 2009, 11:52:01 AM
I use a 12 foot 14 ga. cord with no problems at all.

Same here...no problems!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Huntnfreak

I think the only reason they suggest a short cord is for trip hazzards.  I'm not an electrician or any sort of expert, but based on the limited electrical experience I have the gauge of wire is the only concern.  if length was an issue you would have to have a circuit breaker next to every outlet in a house. 

HawkeyeSmokes

It's not because of a tripping hazard that you want to keep the extension cord short. The longer the extension cord, the higher the resistance to the flow of electricity through it. If the resistance gets high enough, it creates a drop in voltage which in turn will lower the heat output of your smoker. Using a heavier gauge wire on longer cords helps. So if a cord is needed, always use the shortest one you can, and for the smoker I would not use less than 14 ga.
HawkeyeSmokes