Another "Is this enough cure?" Question

Started by Caribou, September 28, 2009, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Hi everyone!
Thinking about trying a recipe for smoked venison sausage which calls for 3 level tablespoons of MTQ in 10 pounds of ground meat. No other salt added either.
That does not sound like that would be enough..does it?  I'm wondering if maybe the recipe is wrong in some way because I notice pepper listed twice in it too.
Here's a link for the recipe on Google Books, it's at the bottom of page 119, "Quick and Easy Venison Pepperoni"
I'd sure appreciate if someone with a lot of sausage making experience could take a look at it and tell me if they think it would work or if it needs modifications.

http://books.google.com/books?id=YL4M5xEwajIC&dq=the+venison+sausage+cookbook&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=WDTBStmeL4qusgP5qPDEAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Thanks!
Carolyn

pensrock

I always thought you use 1-1/2 tsp/lb for sausage and 1 Tbl/lb for dry curing. Maybe some one else will know for sure.

Mr Walleye

I agree with Pens.

In sausage MTQ is used 1.5 tsp per lb.

As a dry cure MTQ is used 1 Tb per lb.

If you go to Morton's site and have a look at all their sausage recipes (I think there is only 3) they all indicate 1.5 tsp per lb. Here is a link. http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeCategory.aspx?CID=6

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: pensrock on September 28, 2009, 03:39:58 PM
I always thought you use 1-1/2 tsp/lb for sausage and 1 Tbl/lb for dry curing. Maybe some one else will know for sure.
Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 28, 2009, 03:46:14 PM
I agree with Pens.

In sausage MTQ is used 1.5 tsp per lb.

As a dry cure MTQ is used 1 Tb per lb.

If you go to Morton's site and have a look at all their sausage recipes (I think there is only 3) they all indicate 1.5 tsp per lb. Here is a link. http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeCategory.aspx?CID=6

Mike

Pens and Mike are right. Just checked Morton's website and that is what they recommend.
HawkeyeSmokes

Caribou

Ok, I checked out the Morton site (thanks for the link!) so this recipe would be shy on MTQ then since a 1 TB is 3 tsp, right?
It should be 5 TBS for 10 pounds of meat...I think.  :)
Carolyn

OU812

Quote from: Caribou on September 28, 2009, 03:54:57 PM
Ok, I checked out the Morton site (thanks for the link!) so this recipe would be shy on MTQ then since a 1 TB is 3 tsp, right?
It should be 5 TBS for 10 pounds of meat...I think.  :)
Carolyn

Yep, 3 tsp=1 Tab 5 Tab for 10 lb meat, good luck

pensrock

OU812

I have a book with allot of the same pictures and what i can remember some of the recipes dont remember the cover though, what i can remember it was a paper back. Now I'm going to have to dig through my box's to see if I can find it. I keep telling myself when I get time I'm going to go through all those box's.

Caribou

Quote from: OU812 on September 28, 2009, 04:39:02 PM
I have a book with allot of the same pictures and what i can remember some of the recipes dont remember the cover though, what i can remember it was a paper back. Now I'm going to have to dig through my box's to see if I can find it. I keep telling myself when I get time I'm going to go through all those box's.

I've only tried a few of the recipes.  That's where the breakfast sausage recipe that you tried came from.  :)
Carolyn

OU812

Quote from: Caribou on September 28, 2009, 05:34:53 PM
Quote from: OU812 on September 28, 2009, 04:39:02 PM
I've only tried a few of the recipes.  That's where the breakfast sausage recipe that you tried came from.  :)
Carolyn

That realy makes me want to dig for the book. Thanks

watchdog56

I always thought that it was 1 tbsp= 2 tsp.

squirtthecat

Quote from: watchdog56 on September 29, 2009, 07:58:09 AM
I always thought that it was 1 tbsp= 2 tsp.

60 drops = 1 tsp
180 drops = 1 TB
360 drops = fl oz
720 drops = 1/4 cup
1440 drops = 1/2 cup
2880 drops = 1 cup
5760 drops = 1 pint
11520 drops = 1 quart
46080 drops = 1 gal

3 tsp = 1 TB
6 tsp = 1 fl oz
12 tsp = 1/4 cup
24 tsp = 1/2 cup
48 tsp = 1 cup
96 tsp = 1 pint
192 tsp = 1 quart
768 tsp = 1 gallon

2 TB = 1 fl oz
4 TB = 1/4 cup
8 TB = 1/2 cup
16 TB = 1 cup
32 TB = 1 pint
64 TB = 1 quart
256 TB = 1 gallon

2 fl oz = 1/4 cup
4 fl oz = 1/2 cup
8 fl oz = 1 cup
16 fl oz = 1 pint
32 fl oz = 1 quart
128 fl oz = 1 gallon

2 cup = 1 pint
4 cups = 1 quart
16 cups = 1 gallon

2 pints = 1 quart
8 pints = 1 gallon

4 quarts = 1 gallon

watchdog56

squirtthecat

I need to find the website I copied that from...  They had some other handy conversions as well.

You'll just have to take this one "on faith":

46080 drops = 1 gal

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!