Doing a little Ham

Started by OU812, September 29, 2009, 05:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Just getting started, picked up a 17 lb boneless skinless fresh ham

Mixed up a little brine, bout 2 gal dist. water with 2 lb country brown cure

Getting pumped with 10% of green weight, bout 1 3/4 lb of brine

Into the bath for a 10 day cure

Good night my little friend, I will stop by every night to rotate and stir things up.

classicrockgriller

10 days? Now that is something you have to plan in advance for. Will be watching the progress.

Tenpoint5

HEHEHEHEHEHE I will be sitting here drinking and quietly chuckling to myself. I remember my first home cured ham. OU Just remember this when your sitting there cussing yourself for doing this and cussing the Bradley and cussing the ham. IT IS WORTH EVERY LAST SECOND OF THE PROCESS!!! Give me a hollar if you need to vent.

Looks Good So Far.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dbrown1

So by pumping do you mean injecting ?? This looks very interesting maybe something to try for Christmas I do have that week off.. I will keep checking in as well

classicrockgriller

OU812

Quote from: dbrown1 on October 01, 2009, 07:15:45 PM
So by pumping do you mean injecting ?? This looks very interesting maybe something to try for Christmas I do have that week off.. I will keep checking in as well

Yep, pumping is the same as injecting.

Ben rotating and stirring things up every night, dont want any uncured spots

dbrown1

So question #2 where does one find the country brown cure ?

OU812

Quote from: dbrown1 on October 02, 2009, 08:19:00 AM
So question #2 where does one find the country brown cure ?

butcher-packer.com

I buy it 5 lb at a time, its my stand alone all purpose cure

classicrockgriller

How many more days we have to wait? What day is this? Why do we have to wait so long? Can you spped this thing up?
Can we stop at the store for Ice Cream? rotf   CRG

Quarlow

Haha CRG "are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet".Hehe.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Is it done yet, Is it done yet, Is it done yet, Is it done yet, Is it done yet  ;D

The plan is to pull it out of the brine on the 8th rinse and give it a couple bath's then let hang in the fridge for a day to form a pellicle and to let the cure equalise then in the smoker on the 10th

Hopefull Romantic

Man this smoking thing teaches you patience; 10 days on the ham 2 weeks on the cheese Geeeeez it is worse than fishing.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

dbrown1

OH OH Don't forget two weeks on the brisket.. lol yeah patience patience patience... maybe I'll take up an "in between" hobby.

FLBentRider

You just have to stage your projects so they finish at different intervals.

Canadian bacon, Ham, pastrami, jerky.... etc...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: dbrown1 on October 03, 2009, 02:50:42 AM
OH OH Don't forget two weeks on the brisket.. lol yeah patience patience patience... maybe I'll take up an "in between" hobby.

Yep, like bird watching, fishing ... more patience stuff.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.