Doing a little Ham

Started by OU812, September 29, 2009, 05:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Pulled out of the brine last night, rinsed, soaked and now draining

In the fridge today and going in the smoker tomarrow morn with some red wine in the drip pan, going to smoke with some hickory and pecan 50/50

Stay tuned

classicrockgriller

HawkeyeSmokes

I'll be keeping an eye out for it OU! Sounds and looks great.
HawkeyeSmokes

smokeitall

Yeah I'm watchin this one too, I haven't done a ham yet.  Cant wait to see the finished pics.
SIA

Tenpoint5

Think I'll go get a beer this is going to be awhile!! Done the ham thing already. (Insert EVIL Laugh)
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

OU, howthehell did you get that ham to sit up like that....do you have it tied to something up top?

Quarlow

lmao CRG, Look real close at the pic's. You can see the string it is hanging from.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Tenpoint5

OU are you awake yet? Tell us about your night of ham smoking. How did it turn out?

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Got the ham in sat morn. Getting to room temp with a fan gently blowing

Water pan filled with 50/50 water and red wine

In the smoker with another water pan with water/wine.

After 4 hr smoke, 2 hr pecan, 2 hr hickory, every other one. Cabnet temp 160 F.

After 12 hr pulled when the IT hit 145 F then FTC

Pulled the net off before the bark started to set

Pulled from the cooler still wrapped in the FT and in the fridge to let the smoke blend in. Going to cut in thirds to night, 2 ham butts and the middle will become ham steaks. The end pieces will be for Thanks giving and Christmas dinner.
Why cook at 160 F ? So it wouldn't fat out. I wanted all the fat still in there because I'm going to cook this again

squirtthecat

Beautiful!  I could go for a slice of that w/ some hashbrowns and eggs right now..

Tenpoint5

Bravo Well done OU Looks great.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dbrown1

Man that looks great.. so at what temp are you going to finish this off in the oven ? (taking notes)

OU812

Thanks every one, it looks harder than it looks, the hardest part is the planing.

Quote from: dbrown1 on October 12, 2009, 08:14:47 AM
Man that looks great.. so at what temp are you going to finish this off in the oven ? (taking notes)

325 F oven 15 to 20 min per lb pull when IT hits 160 F

dbrown1

Thanks OU I have Christmas off and if the weather holds I may make this for dinner... Hard to predict the weather in Alaska though