Doing a little Ham

Started by OU812, September 29, 2009, 05:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Quote from: dbrown1 on October 12, 2009, 10:39:52 PM
Thanks OU I have Christmas off and if the weather holds I may make this for dinner... Hard to predict the weather in Alaska though

You bet, I also have Dec 24 to Jan 4 off.

Going to do a little muzzle loader huntn.

dbrown1

Sounds like a good time... Enjoy  ;D  ;D  ;D Oh and shoot sumfin fer me

oakville smoker

I bought a smoked ham from Costco yesterday, bone in.
I am wondering if I could do something similar to this with my ham, maybe additional smoke while it comes up to temperature? 
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

OU812

Quote from: oakville smoker on October 13, 2009, 10:01:42 AM
I bought a smoked ham from Costco yesterday, bone in.
I am wondering if I could do something similar to this with my ham, maybe additional smoke while it comes up to temperature? 

Yes it is great.
What kind of ham is it?
If its a Smithfield you should soak it in fresh water first as they are cold smoked and aged hams with allot of salt.

Tenpoint5

Oakville,
If your wanting to do one from scratch you can practice on a Picnic. That is the section right below the Boston Butt. I would suggest taking the skin off first though.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

OU, that ham is outta sight. That is a long process. I am more of an instant gratification person. Looks great.

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 13, 2009, 02:22:35 PM
OU, that ham is outta sight. That is a long process. I am more of an instant gratification person. Looks great.

It aint over yet, its still ageing  ;D

My fridge worked harder on this than I have  ::)

classicrockgriller

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 13, 2009, 02:42:17 PM
Done any lunches yet?

Not yet going to let it age for wile, I want the smoke to absorb into the meat

classicrockgriller

I mean at work....your catering business so you can finance your BE, then a Traeger

OU812

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 13, 2009, 03:08:31 PM
I mean at work....your catering business so you can finance your BE, then a Traeger

Oh
Its starting kinda slow but everyone seams to want something different, right now its summer sausage, 3 different kinds, snack sticks, jerky and one person keeps wanting chicken. I'm out of everything now which is a good thing. The other half of the chicken I made this weekend went to day, got $5 for it.

Thanks for asking

OU812

Its done ageing

Ready for the freezer

How about a steak

Here's one end

And the other

Shaved off some for a taste and in my daughters exact words
"OMG this is the BOMB"
Then came up the phone and those little fingers were a bluer texting her friends.
I'm sure she will take the bag of shavings with her this morning to never be seen again. It was amazingly tender and juicy with the flavor of smoke all the way into the middle. Mmmmm Gooood.

Quarlow

Boy does that ever look tasty OU, I am going to have to try that.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Dang OU, that's nice.

I'd try it but I may not live that long.

Hopefull Romantic

It looks nice. A job well done OU

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.