Second smoked cheese

Started by ArnieM, September 29, 2009, 12:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

The first smoke was difficult, trying to keep the cabinet temp down.  But, I tried my first cheddar yesterday after 11 days and it was good.  So ...

It's cool today (60s, I had a cardboard box and the cheese was on sale.  I got 4 pounds of whole milk mozzarella and 2 pounds each of white cheddar and Swiss. I went to the hardware store next door and got some dryer vent hose; all set.

I measured everything up and started on my poverty cold smoker, based, of course, on everything I've seen here.

Cut a hole in the box for the SG.  My kitchen table is my workbench.

Cut another hole in the box for the vent hose.  I put it at the far end to keep it away from direct heat.

Loaded up two racks of cheese.

Hooked everything up and put the cheese in the cabinet.

I'm going with 1 hour apple, 20 minutes hickory and then 1 more hour apple.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Nice setup.

New thread contest...

"Find the Maker's Mark".

Ka Honu

I'm not a bourbon drinker but I'm wondering why the Maker's Mark bottle is:

• in the box, and
  • so full

ArnieM

Quote from: Ka Honu on September 29, 2009, 01:01:22 PM

• in the box, and
    Hiding it from the wife.
  • so full
    Trying to finish the smoker box AND cheese before finishing the bottle.
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on September 29, 2009, 01:13:08 PM

• in the box, and
    Hiding it from the wife.
  • so full

Did you succeed on both?  ;D
Looks like it should work good Arnie. I still need to try smoking cheese and plan on doing it the same way you are. I just happen to have an aluminum dryer hose on hand so just need the box.
HawkeyeSmokes

mikecorn.1

Your killing me. Havent had a chance to do some queso yet. Got a question, the side of the vent hose that goes in the tower, do you use anything to make a good seal or leave as is.
Mike

classicrockgriller

Smoked Makers Mark.......yummmmm

Guess you gonna make me smoke some d*mn cheese, geez
I'll never do all I want to do. Looks good    CRG

OU812

Looks like your well on your way to cheese nirvana.  :D

Hopefull Romantic

Arnie, it is a nice set up and I am sure the results would be just great.

Today I broke out all the cheese that I smoked 10 day ago. I had an English lady over with her boyfriend for dinner and we had the cheese along with a nice wine. All the time waiting for my ABTs and chicken to cook, I was wondering; "what is missing". It was the Jack Daniels. The taste of smoked cheese and JD far exceeds cheese with any other combination.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 29, 2009, 03:11:33 PM
All the time waiting for my ABTs and chicken to cook, I was wondering; "what is missing". It was the Jack Daniels. The taste of smoked cheese and JD far exceeds cheese with any other combination.

HR

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT.

ArnieM

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 29, 2009, 02:45:07 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on September 29, 2009, 01:13:08 PM

• in the box, and
    Hiding it from the wife.
  • so full

Did you succeed on both?  ;D
Well, yes and no.
Looks like it should work good Arnie. I still need to try smoking cheese and plan on doing it the same way you are. I just happen to have an aluminum dryer hose on hand so just need the box.
Gee, I'd think the box would be the simple part.  I'll post additional findings a bit later.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 29, 2009, 02:48:00 PM
Your killing me. Havent had a chance to do some queso yet. Got a question, the side of the vent hose that goes in the tower, do you use anything to make a good seal or leave as is.
I just stuffed the hose in Mike.  It's a pretty good fit.  I did put some clear packing tape around the box/hose junction, mainly to hold it into place.  There was very little smoke leakage.
-- Arnie

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on September 29, 2009, 04:58:40 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on September 29, 2009, 02:48:00 PM
I just stuffed the hose in Mike.  It's a pretty good fit.  I did put some clear packing tape around the box/hose junction, mainly to hold it into place.  There was very little smoke leakage.

So your smoker's name is Mike  ;D

ArnieM

I think I missed a comma, but sure, Mike is a good name for it.  Our cats are "Brown Cat", "Spotted Cat" and "Fluffy Cat".  So, nothing wrong with Mike.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 29, 2009, 02:50:08 PM
Smoked Makers Mark.......yummmmm

Guess you gonna make me smoke some d*mn cheese, geez
I'll never do all I want to do. Looks good    CRG
You might want to wait til it cools down some in your neck of the woods CRG.  Maybe a nice ice storm or something.  :D
-- Arnie