Apple or Hickory on Pork Ribs?

Started by Huntnfreak, September 29, 2009, 02:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntnfreak

I have been searching through the forums and have figured out how I'm going to attack my next smoking experiment.  I pulled some ribs out of the freezer yesterday and just finished putting the brine together.  It looks like a split though between apple or hickory for my wood choice.  Any thoughts and insights on which one to choose.  The ribs i found are labeled "Country" ribs.  They have a lot of meat on them and are already individually cut.  I've never heard of "Country" ribs, but oh well they will still smoke! 

Hopefull Romantic

Huntnfreak,

I would give my vote to hickory. Ribs would need a stronger flavor. Westexasmoker would most likely say, no I am sorry, he would definitely say mesquite. I would agree if i did not have people over to dinner. If I were cooking for me it would for sure be mesquite.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HawkeyeSmokes

I like to mix the apple and hickory on ribs. I like the hickory alone on a larger piece of meat like a pork butt as the smoke flavor is stronger than the apple.
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Dont mean to be a party pooper but I have done "country style ribs" and they were tuff, had to finish in the crock pot. They are not from the rib section, they usually come from the shoulder and should be cooked like a butt.

Just throwing that out there, I very well could be wrong.

Good luck.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: OU812 on September 29, 2009, 03:29:39 PM
Dont mean to be a party pooper but I have done "country style ribs" and they were tuff, had to finish in the crock pot. They are not from the rib section, they usually come from the shoulder and should be cooked like a butt.

Good luck.

You me be right about that OU as I haven't tried them. But if boated and left to slow cook wouldn't they get done kind of like doing a small version of a butt roast?
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 29, 2009, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: OU812 on September 29, 2009, 03:29:39 PM

Good luck.

You me be right about that OU as I haven't tried them. But if boated and left to slow cook wouldn't they get done kind of like doing a small version of a butt roast?

Good point, the boat with some liquid in it would be the ticket, heck through some onions in there to.

classicrockgriller

Huntnfreak

Boat?  I have a fishing boat........What kind of boat are we talking about?  Sorry, just starting out in this world and I don't know all the terms yet.

OU812

This kind of boat would be an foil roasting pan you put the ribs in (after the smoke)  with some liquid, most use apple juice, I use beer, then wrap tightly with foil and put back in the smoker.

Huntnfreak

OU812, thanks for the boat lesson.  That is good to know.  I like that idea.  I have beer and applejuice both, so yet another decision I have to make!!  Thanks again.

HawkeyeSmokes

Boating means to wrap in foil with a small amount of liquid. A lot of people use apple juice but there are a lot of options there. I have found that the throw away foils pans covered with foil are easier to use than foil alone, less leaks for me. This is done once the smoke portion of the cook is over. Some finish in the Bradley, others in the kitchen oven using the same low temp as you did in the smoker.

I see OU812 already answered.  ;D Lot's of help on this forum!
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

I use apple juice cause I don't drink that stuff, but I do drink my beer.   CRG

hansumtoad

If we're down to a liquid that we drink for moisture in the foil.... what about Jack Daniels?  <LIGHT BULB BLINKING ON>  :)
Wishing you all the best across the miles....

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: hansumtoad on September 29, 2009, 04:16:44 PM
If we're down to a liquid that we drink for moisture in the foil.... what about Jack Daniels?  <LIGHT BULB BLINKING ON>  :)

Your got it. Use something you really like for the liquid!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Huntnfreak

Hansumtoad you must have been reading my mind.  I like the way you think!!