Apple or Hickory on Pork Ribs?

Started by Huntnfreak, September 29, 2009, 02:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Not necessarily, (as long as the brine was in the fridge) the longer in the brine the more salt the ribs will draw in along with the other spices. You might want to slice off a small piece and cook it to see if it is to salty, if so just soak the ribs in fresh water for an hr then try  another piece. The fresh water soak will help draw out some of the salt.
The extra time in the brine wont hert any thing as far as the meat goes.

Huntnfreak

Thanks for the info.  I will do that.  It has been refrigerated at about 45 degrees the whole time.

hansumtoad

I was trying to get to the part about the brine being in the refrigerator or it was cold enough in the garage that the meat temp remained no higher than the low 40s.  I'm not sure how well meat left in a brine solution at 70 degrees plus for three days would hold up.

I just didn't want to be the bearer of bad tidings.

All's well that ends well.  My vote would be for hickory ( or mesquite ) now that we've cleared the temp thing.
Wishing you all the best across the miles....

Huntnfreak

Thanks for asking about it hansumtoad.  I've been known to do some boneheaded things before.  Luckily that much I knew!  Now if the rain ever stops, I'll dig out the DBS after I do some taste testing!

OU812

Glad to here you kept the brine chilled the whole time.

Keep us posted.

FLBentRider

I've never brined ribs.

There is not a lot of mass there.

OU812 has you pointed in the right direction.

I would do a test fry.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I'd go with mesquite!!!!  Shocking I'm sure!!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: FLBentRider on October 02, 2009, 04:31:44 PM
I've never brined ribs.

Me too, just dressed up in a good rub and in the fridge for an overnight.

WTS: next time it would be mesquite

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Huntnfreak

I'm not sure how this is possible in Minnesota, but it is still raining here.  My wife said she was tired of waiting for the ribs and wanted them today so I had to resort to plan B.  I ended up soaking them in fresh water for 2 hours and then throwing them on the grill for a short stint.  From there they went into the oven for the remainder of the time low and slow.  The last hour they got sauced.  They turned out very good.  I'm still bummed I couldn't get smoke on them, but I guess there's always next time.  I will be trying this again soon.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Huntnfreak on October 04, 2009, 04:14:24 PM
I'm not sure how this is possible in Minnesota, but it is still raining here.  My wife said she was tired of waiting for the ribs and wanted them today so I had to resort to plan B.  I ended up soaking them in fresh water for 2 hours and then throwing them on the grill for a short stint.  From there they went into the oven for the remainder of the time low and slow.  The last hour they got sauced.  They turned out very good.  I'm still bummed I couldn't get smoke on them, but I guess there's always next time.  I will be trying this again soon.

Be patient huntnfreak. That rain will stop because it's going to turn solid soon enough. From your neighbor to the east in WI.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 04, 2009, 05:08:58 PM
Quote from: Huntnfreak on October 04, 2009, 04:14:24 PM

Be patient huntnfreak. That rain will stop because it's going to turn solid soon enough. From your neighbor to the east in WI.  :D
Way too soon!!!! From a neighbor to the south in IA
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Huntnfreak

Glad to here that your ribs turned out "very good" next time they will be grrrrrreat.

The 2 hr soak mush have worked for ya

Huntnfreak

All smoking will be on a temporary hold now.  My vacation time starts soon and I will be busy refilling my supply of venison and fowl.  The two hour soak was actually an accident.  I was shooting for about an hour but I lost track of time and ended up with 2 hours.  Did seem to work well though.  Can't wait to try it the right way in the near future!

classicrockgriller

Taking my Bradley to the deer camp with me. Got her a large wrap and a big cushion to ride on for the drive. I'm sure she will be getting a lot of attention.   CRG

Huntnfreak

I'm gonna have to invest in a propane Bradley before I can do that.  My cabin is 7 miles off the nearest road and no electricity unless I drag along a generator.  I don't really care to run a generator that long!