Why Texans eat Brisket and not Salmon

Started by classicrockgriller, September 30, 2009, 03:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Q,

I've done Salmon on a cedar plank and it was quite good.  Of course, you have to use a plank made for the purpose not chemically treated and ready to go on a house.  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Quote from: westexasmoker on September 30, 2009, 05:23:07 PM
I'm starting to think I just need to start shipping frozen briskets out,   ::)  seeing what you guys are paying!

C

Send a case up here when you get a sale like that .99  WOW

dbrown1

Not saying this for sure but maybe a few of you would like to do a bit of bartering next salmon season, I mean I get mine for the low low price of FREE !! Just a thought..

Kummok

Hmmmmm......in a post quite a while back, I did some "figger'in" on the real cost of "free" fish and, not counting the real cost of living here, it went something like this:

The Boat:   $10,000 to $80,000 average
The Boat Puller Truck: $25,000 to $50,000 average ("Spit" trucks average $25[Wink])
The Tackle: Rod: $100-$500 avg, Reel: $150-$500, Lures/Flashers/Hooks/Line/etc. $500-$100, Lead sinkers/cannonballs/etc: $200, Bait/Bait handling: $250, Nets/Gaffs/Clubs/Snakecharmers/Ammo: $200-$500
The Guv'ment (licenses/boat/trailer registration/etc.) $300-$400
The Fuel: $2000-$4000
The Food/Snacks/Beer: $800-$1000
And so on and so on.......

Amortized, Annualized, and Averaged makes the price of our "free" salmon about $3 zillion/lb and worth TWICE the price

;) ;)

dbrown1

LOL yeah Kummok this is true !!

But when you go dip netting for those reds, as much as I like em 80 fish is a LOT !!

The silvers and kings well that's another story all together.... aka I'm keepin those  ;D

Just thought maybe a little bartering might be worth the time/effort.

And at 6 zillion a lb. that is a heep ob briskets and butts secret sauces etc. YUMMM !!

Big Stick

While I have two boats too many,one can easily arrange for Fresh Salmon on the cheap.

I can walk from my house and arrange dinner in but a few casts,or a smoker load with but a few more.

Speaking of which,I've fish that need cleaned now.

classicrockgriller

Hey Big Stick, welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here talking about great smoked food.   CRG

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Big Stick and welcome to the forum.

Kummok can you do the calculation again based on bartering all the way over here.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Big Stick

All filleted and vac packed.

Now trying to decide if I want to chase Halibut,or kill a Buck this afternoon.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Big Stick on October 03, 2009, 11:20:31 AM

Now trying to decide if I want to chase Halibut,or kill a Buck this afternoon.

I would say have the buck chase the Halibut and when it is caught, shoot the buck.

HR

classicrockgriller

Go for the buck, smoke it and post pics.   CRG

Big Stick

I think "fresh" is easily quantified,when the fillets are less than 15 minutes from being on the hook.

Thing is,I'd rather not ever freeze a fish and I messed up and bumped into some nice Halibut,which sorta curtails that axiom.

But catching them is still fun...despite my usual preference to Hunt. Decisions...decisions.

Big Stick

Should have checked my histogram and metered the shot differently. Too late now.

Tough to beat smoked/canned fresh (never frozen) Salmon,when introduced to cream cheese and a simple Ritz cracker.

Very tough to top.

Hopefull Romantic

Goodness gracious...was that a Halibut :o :o :o :o

HR