Smoking a Whole Turkey

Started by oakville smoker, October 01, 2009, 11:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Good day eh
Yeppers, Thanksgivingis come up fast and furious here in the great white north

I have an itch to smoke a whole turkey that I am dying to scratch
But i dont see any recipes for whole birds in the recipe section, breasts and legs  yes but whole birds no
I guess Icould halve the thing and smoke it that way...........

Is this do able?  I am thinking brine, inject with yummies and smoke away
Ideal size is going to be in the 8 to 10 pound range, a fresh bird no less

Any ideas or guidance here would be appreciated
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

squirtthecat

Never done a whole one, as we only like the white breast meat, but you could stand one up like HR's 'beer can chicken' - only on a bigger can.   That would help keep it moist.

I've even seen stands at the store for securing a turkey like that. (and you put the entire thing over a big can full of beer & spices)

KyNola

I have smoked a turkey and some will say I cheated my way through it.  Brine, inject and into the smoker at 250 for 2-3 hours and then move it into the house oven to finish roasting at 350 until the IT is 160-165.  I like to move it to the oven for the higher cooking temp and crisping up the skin.  I'm not a purist when it comes to finishing in the smoker.  When the smoke has stopped rolling the Bradley is nothing more than a 500 watt oven.

KyNola

iceman

KyNola has the right idea. Brine, inject, smoke, then finish in the oven at a higher heat to crisp up the skin. Works like magic.
Just don't get a bird bigger than 15 pounds and your good to go.

Click the picture to enlarge.

Ka Honu

Better than finishing in the oven - use The Big Easy.  As Justin Wilson might say, "I ga-ron-tee a delightful dish.  You gonna love it!"

classicrockgriller

Smoker/Big Easy is one of the ways I am doing a thanksgiving turkey. smoker/oven sounds nice too. Decisions!   CRG

FLBentRider

I use Alton Browns honey brine, then smoke in the Bradley until the desired IT is reached.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

FLBR - Sounds like a winner. 

My only problem with smoked turkey is the skin texture; I miss the crispness.  That's why I recommend finishing in TBE.

FLBentRider

We don't eat the skin, and I have not the TBE... yet..

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JGW

I was thinking 'bout smoking a turkey this year, BUT....

That damn fried Turkey is just SOOOOOO good.   Then again....beer butt turkey sounds good too.

Wonder if I could smoke the turkey for a couple of hours, THEN fry it?  Smoked Fried Turkey.  Anyone done this?  I may have to experiment with just a breast roast and see what happens.

classicrockgriller

JWG, are you talking about "oil" frying? Just wondering about beer buttin a turkey and moisture issues with the oil fry? I did one oil fry and it came out great, just tooooo much work and loss of oil and danger for me.   CRG

Smokeville

Hi Oakville Smoker!

Food Basics has utility turkeys on sale this week for .97c/lb.....

Regards, Smokeville in Oakville....

oakville smoker

Thanks all

I am going to go with the brine, inject, smoke, finish in the oven strategy and hope for the best.
Smokeville, thanks for the tip on the turkey sale.  I am actually going to scoot down to St Jacobs
and get a free range bird.  I always say .....   go big or go home  ......   the turkey just wont be that big !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

FLBentRider

IIRC - Turkeys I've done only take 4-5 hours.

I do them in the Bradley the entire time.

The meat is fairly lean, there isn't the connective tissue breakdown/tenderness thing going on.

It's just a cook with smoke.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!