11 pd pork shoulder

Started by sterlingpriceporker, October 03, 2009, 10:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sterlingpriceporker

i'm assuming my best move is to make pulled pork? but should i cut it in half and smoke on two racks? will that give me more smoke flavor?  ???
truly great men know the power of napping. I'm a great man.

Hopefull Romantic

It really depends on how thick it is besides it would shrink considerably when smoked / cooked.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

SPP. you have one butt that weighs 11 lbs? That was a big ole pig. Smoke it whole, lowwww and slowwww. You can add extra smoke time. what wood are you going to use?
CRG

sterlingpriceporker

I'm thinking for trying Mesquite. I'm thinking about trying a taco seasoning rub.

FLBentRider

If it fits on 1 rack, I would smoke it whole.

Its going to take a while - 18 to 20 hours.

I would apply 4 hours of smoke @220F and continue @220F until an IT of 195-200F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Being from Texas I like a little more smoke than some people, but if you are using mesquite than 4 hrs is plenty. FYI, The smoke gods say a piece of meat won't take on smoke after the IT has reached 150.   CRG

Hopefull Romantic

SPP, FLB has set you on the right track and if you use mesquite, you are going to make WTS very happy.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

I would leave it whole also. I smoke one a while back that was 12 pounds, and it came out great. The eleven pounder should fit on the rack, since my 12 pounder did. If it is a little too wide, you can use some butchers cord and tie it up so that it does fit.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

sterlingpriceporker

to brin or not to brin? on a long slow smoke what to you guys do. I'm done a brin for jerky and for chicken..... but how about pork? what to you guys do?

classicrockgriller

I rub or slater wet and wrap in cleo and frige over nite or two days. Re-rub as it is waiting for it final destination (Bradley)   CRG

FLBentRider

Most of the time I brine butts.

I'm dead tired - been up since 3 ... search subject butt time should pull up my pictorial and brine recipe.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!