How To Spatchcock A Chicken

Started by Tenpoint5, October 03, 2009, 03:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Having chicken on the grill tonight. So I did a quick video on how to Spatchcock or Butterfly a Chicken. Sometimes it goes real easy sometimes they fight you some. This one fought me some but I won and you get this quick video. Its nothing special but cheaper at the grocery store to buy a whole bird then to buy it cut up already.

BROKEN LINK FIXED
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

I couldn't get the video to work. crg

monty

Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

JGW

Good job.  That's pretty much the way I do it. 

Never heard the term spatchcock before (I'll have to remember that)....we usually just say "split" or "splitting chicken"   ;D

westexasmoker

Poultry shears are your best friend when it comes to halving chickens!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

As a quick update. All I got to eat off that yardbird was the wings!! Momma and the 4 yardapes demolished the dang thing. I tried some of Iceman's rub on it. Now there will be another bottle of rub in the fridge at all times. Jan's Rub, Ice's Rub and Mine.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

10.5, You are nicier to that chicken than I am. When that bird sees me pull out my knife and kitchen shears, it knows it's going two ways in about 30 seconds.

Thanks for the right way to do it.  
Good to know, but I already kinda figured Iceman's rub was pretty good. Thanks for the update on that too.

CRG

justpete

Thanks 10.5 I was wondering how that was done.

Peter

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: justpete on October 03, 2009, 06:10:03 PM
Thanks 10.5 I was wondering how that was done.

Peter

Me too and always had the butcher do for an extra fee. Well not any more.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

MAK DADDY

Quote from: westexasmoker on October 03, 2009, 04:49:18 PM
Poultry shears are your best friend when it comes to halving chickens!

C
[/shadow]

Been looking for some of those, do you have a link to a good source?
I have been playing with this quite a bit latley, I heard it called butterfied chicken. I think it is way better than beer can chicken! The last one smoked I injected with garlic, sprinkeled with rub and sprayed some lime juice on. 275 for 2 hrs IT 165. A little on garlic side for me but the wife is still raving about that one :)
WWW.MAKGRILLS.COM
NOW YOU'RE SMOKIN'

OU812

Cool little vid you made up there 10.5, very educational

Thats the way I do it when we get our birds back from the chicken man, they freeze and cook so much better this way. That chine bone can some times be a real b**ch and by the time you get done with 50 of them things you dont to ever do it again but every year I still do.

The best poultry shears I've found is the "Chef's Choice" there a little pricey but the longer handles sure save your wrist's in the end.

MAK DADDY

The best poultry shears I've found is the "Chef's Choice" there a little pricey but the longer handles sure save your wrist's in the end.

Thanks I will hunt them down :)
WWW.MAKGRILLS.COM
NOW YOU'RE SMOKIN'

pensrock

ArnieM

Yeah, nice job on the video 10.5 and thanks for posting it.  I use the shears all the way.  I cut the breast down the center after cutting out the back.  I also remove the wing tips.

I posted a thread on my chicken a while back but never showed how I cut the chicken up.  In any case, it was smoked and then finished off on the grill with a glaze of honey and olive oil.  Here, it's coming off the grill.

Shears:  Yeah, get something easy on the hands.  Alton Brown had some comments on shears a while back.  He suggested getting shears where the blades easily unlock into two pieces.  Much easier to make sure you get them clean that way.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

OK, I had to look up "spatchcock".  Here's the wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatchcock

10.5, the wikipedia entry is looking for more info.  Why not post a link to your video?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.