First smoked king salmon

Started by Beerbrewer, October 04, 2009, 05:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerbrewer

Got about 10lbs. king salmon from my brother in laws fishing trip to Pulaski N.Y.(Douglaston salmon run).He had 1 fish smoked by a local for $30.00!!! He knows I have the "Bradley" so he asked if I would try it out.Told him "no problem"!!BUT here's the potential problem..I found out after I prepped the salmon I had only hickory pucks!! My question is will this salmon be ruined? I understand most smoke salmon with alder,apple, or cherry.Followed Kummocks brine recipe and temps(thanks).Salmon is in the Bradley as I type.Wish me luck!Got some pics I'll post when I get a chance.
"They always talk of my drinking, but not of my thirst"

Hopefull Romantic

Good luck beerbrewer and go ahead. You will not ruin the salmon with hickory. It may be a stronger smoke taste but the  again you could go less on smoke time. Only a bit.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tenpoint5

BB, Smoke with the flavor that you like. I am quite sure that if WTS was smoking Salmon he would be using Mesquite.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Beerbrewer

Thanks guys, will back off the smoke a bit.Will let you know how it comes out.Might even try Mesquite next time??how bout it WTS??
"They always talk of my drinking, but not of my thirst"

HawkeyeSmokes

I would agree with the others, your not going too ruin the salmon, just going to have a bit stronger smoke taste. Good luck and welcome to the the forum!
HawkeyeSmokes

dbrown1

Nahh I used to use a combo of Hickory and Alder never had a Salmon I didn't like ... it will be fine  :D

Kummok

I'll throw in with the rest on this BB....no such thing as ruined salmon (so far!) and using hickory isn't gonna make you swear off smoking salmon. Should come out GREAT. I even side with WTS on using mesquite...cain't hurt! The only wood I'd highly recommend against would be railroad ties....fought a few fires in that smoke and was wishing somebody would just shoot me to get me out of migraine misery.... :o

Quarlow

Hey beerbrewer You just go with it man. It is hard to make bad smoked salmon. And I should know Cause I'm the only one who uses a dry cure for it and it turns out great. Made one day I'll try Kummoks brine to see how the real smokers do it. Here is a pic of my last batch.

That's fifty lbs of smoked salmon and it doesn't last long once your friends try it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Kummok

ANYbody who smokes and eats salmon is a "real" smoker in my book, Q....and if you're smoking 50 lbs at a time you DEFINITELY qualify!!

Quarlow

Well thanks Kummok. I take that as a huge compliment from one of the masters. I have truly found a home on the net.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

dbrown1

Nice lookin Salmon there Q, Kummok took the words right outta my mouth !

Smokeville

Quote from: Kummok on October 04, 2009, 10:19:08 PM
ANYbody who smokes and eats salmon is a "real" smoker in my book, Q....and if you're smoking 50 lbs at a time you DEFINITELY qualify!!

Hey!

I'm allergic to salmon and I still smoke it!

Can I qualify as a "real" smoker too!!!!   Please!!!!!!

Rich

tsquared

QuoteI should know Cause I'm the only one who uses a dry cure for it and it turns out great
You're not the only one Quarlow! I use it for cold smoked salmon anyway--I find you have more control over the amount of salt in different thicknesses of fillets and it gives me a drier slice which I prefer.
T2

Kummok

OK...here's the deal.....in order to qualify, you'll need to submit COPIOUS samples of your smoked salmon to the now-forming 'Real Smoker Taste Test Panel' (Openings on this panel are now open and officially for sale...learned that trick from the politicians!). Once we have had ample opportunity to savor the flavor (and we will MOST likely need additional samples...just to be certain), we will take it before the 'Real Smoker Taste Test Confirmation Team' (See "Openings 4 Sale" above). In the likely event that there is a favorable or unfavorable opinion handed down by the RSTTCT, a special 'Real Smoker Taste Test Arbitration Group' (More opportunities for taste testing are still available at premium prices...payable in smoked goods only!)  Sooner or later you'll make it into the elite group of smokers-but-not-eaters, but you'd better start fishing now.......

I gotta ask though...isn't smoking-but-not-eating kinda like sitting in an F-15 with no fuel or ammo??  Ouch, gonna owe you some halibut for THAT one! ;) ;)  Funnin' aside, my sympathies are with you on that allergy, Smokeville...my wife is allergic to clams but loves them and has to suffer through watching me guzzle 'em down. So far, the only thing I'm allergic to, foodwise, is starvation....

Mr Walleye

Kummok

I'm in!

DO you take Master Card or Visa?

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes