A variety of cold smoking resulty

Started by Norman, October 04, 2009, 09:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman

I was given the Cold Smoker adapter for my Bradley last month. I have had some mixed results.
The biggest surprise was with the chicken. It was smoked for 4 hours and and then roasted in the oven. Compared to a hot smoke there was very little smoke flavour. Any suggestions?

The other items were very good

Oak smoked salt was a real treat. When cooking it realy brings out a nice smokey flavour.

Smoking Paprika was as great success. Compared to the non smoked version there is a significant difference.

Likewise with smoked peppers. Great result and fantastic chopped and mixed with fresh steamed veggies.

However the chicken was a bit of a let down.

Hopefull Romantic

Usually every one here would hot smoke chicken and not cold. However, it would help to know what size did you cold smoke. Was it a whole chicken or pieces thereof.

Many will not recommend that you cold smoke chicken as it could put it in the danger zone. But if you have cold enough weather you might get away with it. Aigain I would recomend hot smoke for the chicken but if you have to do it cold try brinning it and then let it air dry and try again.

Welcome to the forum

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

I wouldn't be cold smoking chicken for the very reasons HR gave.

KyNola

squirtthecat

I'll take the bait...

How does one smoke paprika?    Salt, I can see, if you spread it on a foil screen. (like a skillet grease guard cover)

But something as finely ground as paprika?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 04, 2009, 06:00:32 PM
I'll take the bait...

How does one smoke paprika?    Salt, I can see, if you spread it on a foil screen. (like a skillet grease guard cover)

I think they smoke, then dry the peppers. After that they grind them. I'm sure others will chime in to.
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 04, 2009, 06:48:17 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on October 04, 2009, 06:00:32 PM
I'll take the bait...

How does one smoke paprika?    Salt, I can see, if you spread it on a foil screen. (like a skillet grease guard cover)

I think they smoke, then dry the peppers. After that they grind them. I'm sure others will chime in to.

Got that one and thanks Hawkeye. But what about salt??

HR

Habanero Smoker

I haven't tried it, but there have been members who have had success smoking powdered paprika, by spreading it in a pan and stirring occasionally during the smoking process. I would use the offset smoker setup if doing so.

HR;

Take a look in the Vegetable, Cheese and Nuts section. Many pf us have smoked salt. Use a small rimmed cookie sheet, and spread the salt is a thin layer. Occasionally stir. With salt you can basically use any temperature, because it is a mineral and won't burn. I've tried cold smoking and hot smoking (around 180°F), though I get the smoke flavor, I have not been able to get that deep dark color. I believe Manxman spritzes his with a fine mist while applying smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Thanks Habs I will try that with the cheese. Hopefully tonight.

Now if some one can figure out the smoked EVOO.

HR

JGW

Smoked olive oil?  I would think the easiest way would be to add liquid smoke to it.

Another idea might be to smoke peppers or garlic or whatever and place that into the oil.  Smoked garlic olive oil sounds like it might rock.  ;D

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: JGW on October 06, 2009, 04:55:13 PM
Smoked olive oil?  I would think the easiest way would be to add liquid smoke to it.

Been there, tried that. They dont mix.

Another idea might be to smoke peppers or garlic or whatever and place that into the oil.  Smoked garlic olive oil sounds like it might rock.  ;D

The second idea... two birds with one stone. Garlic and smoke flavored. I like that.

HR

Habanero Smoker

Smoking oil and vinegar has been discuss in the past, so you may want to do a search. Some of the ideas were to place stainless steel balls in the smoker. Allow the smoke to adhere to the balls and then place them into the vinegar or oil and let the smoke diffused throughout the substance. The other; was to place the vinegar or oil in a rimmed cookie sheet or a pan with low sides that would expose as much of the oil or vinegar surface to the smoke.

If you smoke olive oil let me know how you did so, and how it turned out. I've been meaning to smoke some vinegar for some time; just keep forgetting about it. I may attempt to smoke the vinegar in the next few days; when I smoke some nuts and olives.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Norman

I accept the suggestions about hot smoking chicken. Even setting aside the health issue, it was not worth the time spent.

For the Paprika and the salt I laid them on coffee filter paper so that there was some permeation of sloth through the fine grains. Muslin also works.

Olive oil now there's a thought but I agree with the liquid smoke idea.

My next attempt is with buffalo. I assume it's much like beef. Then I am on to Lama.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Norman on October 07, 2009, 11:18:46 AM
For the Paprika and the salt I laid them on coffee filter paper

Great idea!

My next attempt is with buffalo. I assume it's much like beef. Then I am on to Lama.

I've had buffalo at a couple restaurants in Denver.  It is very very very lean, so be careful with the times/temps, or it will dry out to shoe leather consistency..    I'll be very interested in hearing how it turns out in your Bradley.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 07, 2009, 11:22:13 AM
Quote from: Norman on October 07, 2009, 11:18:46 AM
For the Paprika and the salt I laid them on coffee filter paper

Great idea!

I love it. I wish I had read this earlier, then I would have done it with what I am smoking right now. That is in a different thread.

HR