opinion/help needed ASAP

Started by bigredsmoker, October 04, 2009, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredsmoker

I'm trying something new with some ribs and need some opinion/help. I have smoked 6 racks of ribs for 2.5 hours in the Bradley. I usually pull the ribs and finish tented in the oven at 250 with apple juice and water fro another couple of hours and then put on the grill with some sauce to get a nice glaze.

I am currently on a Bobby Flay kick and am trying to adapt one of his recipes from his Mesa grill cookbook to add a smoked flavor to his rib recipe. In his recipe he uses a rub and then sears the ribs in oil to form a crust. I did not do that, however I used his rub before smoking. He then puts soy suace, water and ginger in the roasting pan that he seared the ribs in and places the ribs on a rack in the pan. he brushes the ribs with his Peanut Chipotle sauce and places them in a 500 degree oven for 1.25 to 1.5 hours. That is where I am having the problem..500 degrees! It seems like way to hot. In his description of the recipe he says the peanut chipotle sauce becomes a glaze as it cooks and seeps into the meat of the ribs making each bite luscious. That sound fantastic to me! but...500 degrees??? What do you all think? I have never been steered wrong when asking this forum for help, so please....help.

Thanks!  Terry

bigredsmoker

OK, no feedback so here is what I did. I am only experimenting with a rack and a half so I put it on a rack on a baking sheet, slathered it with the Peanit Chipotle sauce, put apple juice and water inthe bottom. foil tented it and put it in a 275 convection oven. Going to leave it for about 2 hours then re sauce, and grill on high to put on a little crust. That's the plan anyway, will post results later. Haven't posted to the forum in a long time, nice to be back and see that nothing has changed as far as friendliness, etc.

monty

at first it sounded like braised ribs - sear in oil and then cook low and slow in the oven with some liquid/sauce. but 500 degrees sounds a little hot!

let us know how your method works out!

is this the recipe by the way?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/barbecued-ribs-with-peanut-chipotle-sauce-and-tomatillo-corn-salsa-recipe/index.html
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

KyNola

BRS,
Welcome back.  Sorry to just find your post.  500 degrees would seem excessive to me.  I'm thinking the rub and then into the Bradley for 3 hours of smoke and then foiled and into the house oven at 225 for 2 hours.  Out of the foil, apply the sauce and back in the oven for another hour.

Hope they turned out well for you.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

500 does sound rather extreme. Let us know how things worked out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bigredsmoker

Well, the ribs did turn out really good flavor wise. Meat was very tneder and falling off the bone. They didn't get the "glazed' look I was thinking they would have, but all in all pretty good. Monty, that was the recipe, but in the cookbook they were cooked in the oven, not on the grill. Sorry, didn't get any pictures taken before we dug in. I'm just not sure I liked the peanut flavor of the sauce. It was very good, but I am torn as to if I liked it more than a traditional bar-b-que sauce. Thanks for the input everyone.

classicrockgriller

BRS, I have also tryed peanut sauces, glazes, etc and just didn't like it. Now my peanuts are eaten out of a shell or spread on bread with jelly.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 04, 2009, 09:24:48 PM
BRS, I have also tryed peanut sauces, glazes, etc and just didn't like it. Now my peanuts are eaten out of a shell or spread on bread with jelly.

I am a member of CRG's club.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

Hi bigredsmoker,

Good to see you posting again.

I wasn't a Bobby Flay fan, until someone gave me the Mesa Grill Cookbook. I looked at the recipe you are referring to. I may try his cooking method on maybe a rack or half of a rack of ribs just to see how it turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bigredsmoker

Hey Habs, I love that cookbook. I put together his 16 spice rub yesterday and am trying it on a Turkey breast today. I have made about a half dozen items from the book and they have all been fantastic. Also made some of the suaces and they are very good as well. I now have to make regular trips to the Mexican imigrant part of town to get peppers and other ingredients. Next time I think I may try and cold smoke a rack and follow the recipe to the letter and see how it comes out. Let me know if you try it.

Has anyone heard from smokingduck? I haven't done a search to see if he has posted, was just wondering how things are going for him.

squirtthecat

What's in his 16 spice rub, if you don't mind me asking?

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 05, 2009, 07:36:27 AM

What's in his 16 spice rub, if you don't mind me asking?

Same question plus quantities.  Please

HR

ArnieM

Boy, everybody is too cheap to buy the book!  Er, I'd like to know too please  :-\
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on October 05, 2009, 08:35:00 AM
Boy, everybody is too cheap to buy the book!  Er, I'd like to know too please  :-\

If the rub is good, I'd be more inclined to buy the book...   :D

Hopefull Romantic

I looked it up on ebay. It will probably be two weeks before I can get it.

I guess I will have to drool for the 16 spices till then.

HR