opinion/help needed ASAP

Started by bigredsmoker, October 04, 2009, 03:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

bigredsmoker

I only see one thing different from the Mesa grill book and that is he calls for 3 tbl. of cinnamon and both of the other recipes in the link only call for 1. I used 3.

bigredsmoker

Sort of off topic, but here is a pic of one of his brunch recipes I made that I think is fantastic. It is Ranch style eggs with chorizo and tomato-red chile sauce.

Hopefull Romantic

Arnie,

you are the greatest. I will get the book anyway (especially after bigred posted that picture) but I dont have to wait to try them spices.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

bigredsmoker

OK, I take back what I said about the ribs, having them for leftovers and they are really good. I am eating them cold out of the fridge and I think they are most excellent. Maybe I had a few to many cocktails last night and it was clouding my taste buds.  ;D

JGW

I would agree that 500 seems kind of high   :o

Low and slow is the mantra with BBQ, but I guess as long as you get the results you want....doesn't matter how you got there.  There are many would would NEVER consider a Bradley because it's electric.  Just goes to show....to each his own.  As long as the food is good, most folks really don't care.  ;D

I like to watch Bobby Flay, but have never tried one of his recipes.  I'll have to check the book and try a few.

I saw his throw down show about pulled pork.....Didn't really agree with his style, and he didn't win, but a few folks thought it was tasty.

Habanero Smoker

BigRed;

I agree about your opinion on his cookbook. I've tried around seven or so, and they all came out great. Fortunately there are a few Mexican and Jamaican stores within driving distance where I can purchase the ingredients that are called for, but most ingredient you can find a substitute for. The book made me a Bobby Fly Fan. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Habs since you mentioned that ""but most ingredient you can find a substitute for"" what would you substitude for Pasilla chile powder in Bobby's 16 spices recipe.

HR

bigredsmoker

HR, found this about the Pasilla on the web. I think for the 16 spice rub you may just have to omit that one. It will just be one less layer of flavor but I don't think it being missing will be noticed. If it were me I would not worry about a substitute and just leave it out. Have you tried finding an internet retailer to buy dried peppers from. I use a coffee grinder and am grinding my own chile's to make my recipes.
Here is the article I found:

The pasilla is one of Mexico's great chilies, both for its taste and its versatility. For those of you who don't know this chili, it is the mildly hot fresh chilaca chili which has been dried. Almost anyone who has been to Mexico has seen it as it is the one floating atop tortilla soup.

Any variety of fresh chili can be dried and this is done to preserve them. But things get a little confusing as the process of drying them usually brings out a change of name. Just as the chilaca become the pasilla, the poblano becomes an ancho and the mirasol becomes the guajillo.

But things don't stop at this as there are differences in names from region to region. For example, in north central Mexico the guajillo is usually called cascabel.

In the case of the pasilla things get a bit complicated as in parts of the state of Michoacan the ancho is
called pasilla roja and a smoked dried hot, hot chili in Oaxaca is called a pasilla de Oaxaca. But for my purposes, the pasilla is always a dried chilaca.

Hopefull Romantic

Thanks bigred for your help.

I did find an ebay seller out of NM selling the pasilla and will take your advice of omiting it when I do my next meal. The explanation about the chile makes sound so good so I am going to order it anyway and then compare tastes.

Thanks again.

HR

ArnieM

Thanks for the info on chilies bigred.  Maybe you can clear something up for me.  It's my understanding that dried or smoked jalapenos are called chipotle.  I put the powder on darn near everything - making some burgers tonight.  They also some canned in a 'sauce' but they seem really hot for jalapenos.  Any info on this?
-- Arnie

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 06, 2009, 03:55:17 AM
Habs since you mentioned that ""but most ingredient you can find a substitute for"" what would you substitude for Pasilla chile powder in Bobby's 16 spices recipe.

HR

For Bobby Flays recipe, I usually don't have to find a substitute because of the various ethnic stores within driving distance. When I don need to substitute I use two online sources to determine what is the best substitute for an ingredient. I generally check both site because there is some variation in what to substitute. To add to BigRed's information, for pasilla chile powder both sites Ancho is the best substitute, one state Ancho is the same as pasilla chile powder.

Gourmet Sleuth Substitutes
Cook's Thesaurus

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bigredsmoker

Quote from: ArnieM on October 06, 2009, 01:38:08 PM
Thanks for the info on chilies bigred.  Maybe you can clear something up for me.  It's my understanding that dried or smoked jalapenos are called chipotle.  I put the powder on darn near everything - making some burgers tonight.  They also some canned in a 'sauce' but they seem really hot for jalapenos.  Any info on this?

Yes, dried smoked Jalapeno is Chipotle and they are sold canned in adobo sauce. Bobby Flay uses chipotle chile puree in many of his recipes. It is made by emptying the contents of a can of chipotles in adobo sauce into a food processor and process until smooth. It can be covered and stored in the fridge for up to a month. I use the puree in my taco meat (sparingly). I like to make taco meat from leftover pulled pork by adding a can of Rotell's tomato's and chile's, dice onions, garlic, cumin, chipotle chile puree, chili powder, and some some of the dried chipotle powder. I have also started adding some other spices such as ancho, and pasilla. It makes a great tasting taco meat. I also add some water that I let cook off and if I have some Tequila laying around I will through some of that in as well. I let it all simmer for a while and kind of crush the tomato's will it cooks.

ArnieM

Thanks for the info bigred and that sounds like some mighty good chile. I usually make mine (Texas Red, beans on the side) with cubed up chuck roast along with pureed jalapenos, onions, garlic and cilantro with a few other seasonings such as paprika and chipotle powder.  I also use tomatoes.  The pulled pork sounds nice for a smokey flavor.  I might try a beef/pulled pork mix next time.  Unfortunately, neither the left over pulled pork or the Tequila lasts very long around here.  >:(
-- Arnie

JGW

I use Pasilla when making chile (among other things).

Out where I live, I can get all kinds of peppers or ground chiles.  Having lived in NM before coming out to CA, I got addicted to green chiles.  (I thrown them into everything).

Don't know if you guys have ever eaten at Chevy's, but they have a cook book that I think is fantastic (all mexican food, for the most part).  Their motto is "no cans" so everything is made fresh everyday.   ;D

My favorite cookbook (by the authors of S&S) is "The Border Cookbook".  If you like southwestern food, you'll love the recipes in this.