One of my other tools

Started by Caneyscud, October 15, 2009, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

One of my other hobbies is photography.  One of the tools I use for it.  I like black lenses.  This pic was taken by the camera and flash shown in the pic.  Mirrors dude, mirrors!

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Sorry CS, I disagree.  I like white lenses.  But at least we agree on smokers.  ;D

No mirrors.  Taken with my Panasonic FZ-20 kick around cam.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Just bought SWMBO a Nikon D3000 with 18-55 and 55-200 mm VR lenses, UV lens filters, camera case, and an 8MB SDHD for Christmas.  Got great deals, I think - about about $840 for the lot.  I don't know why she wants to carry all that stuff around but it was cheaper than the jewelry I might otherwise have had to come up with.

Anyway, now I know where to ask the questions she will surely have.

ArnieM

KH,

The price sounds OK.  I hope you meant an 8GB card, not 8MB.

A couple of links to the camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09073005nikond3000.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09073004d3000handson.asp

Send SWMBO here http://dpreview.com/

You may regret not having bought the jewelry  ;D
-- Arnie

Caneyscud

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 15, 2009, 12:33:38 PM
Just bought SWMBO a Nikon D3000 with 18-55 and 55-200 mm VR lenses, UV lens filters, camera case, and an 8MB SDHD for Christmas.  Got great deals, I think - about about $840 for the lot.  I don't know why she wants to carry all that stuff around but it was cheaper than the jewelry I might otherwise have had to come up with.

Anyway, now I know where to ask the questions she will surely have.

Should have sprung for the 18-200VR lens - only one lens to carry.  It is my new favorite walk-around lens.  Not as fast as I would like, but the VR gives me another 2-3 stops  AND don't have to lug the heavy glass.  Its the lens on the camera in the pic.

Caneyscud

Quote from: ArnieM on October 15, 2009, 11:36:20 AM
Sorry CS, I disagree.  I like white lenses.  But at least we agree on smokers.  ;D

No mirrors.  Taken with my Panasonic FZ-20 kick around cam.

Putting the big lens on huh!  I refrained.  Very nice equipment anyways!
I could say something about overcompensating - but I won't! ;D ;D ;D ;D
I've got the equivalent lens in the Brand New Sigma - AF 150-500/5.0-6.3 APO DG OS HSM.  I like it, but the OS is a little slow at times and is sometimes soft.  But sure is lighter than my 300 f2.8.  Wanting to get a 500 or 600 prime, but can't squeeze money out of a turnip in this economy.

ArnieM

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 15, 2009, 02:12:37 PM

Putting the big lens on huh!  I refrained.
I could say something about overcompensating - but I won't! ;D ;D ;D ;D
I've got the equivalent lens in the Brand New Sigma - AF 150-500/5.0-6.3 APO DG OS HSM.  I like it, but the OS is a little slow at times and is sometimes soft.  But sure is lighter than my 300 f2.8.  Wanting to get a 500 or 600 prime, but can't squeeze money out of a turnip in this economy.

CS - Actually, that's the only "white" lens I have.  I posted the pic because of your black lens comment.  My Canon 28-70 f2.8 is my favorite walk around lens - EBay.  I think I got the 1D body at the end of '02 and additional lenses in the next six months, mostly from EBay; nothing since then.  Just because a newer body comes out doesn't mean this one stops working.  ;)  I'm having the same problem with turnips.  :-[

I use the Panasonic for my food pics.  It's a lot easier to carry around.
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on October 15, 2009, 12:55:25 PMI hope you meant an 8GB card, not 8MB.

Sorry for the typo - it's an 8GB SDHC.  I guess everything seemed smaller after that pic of your lens.

Quote from: ArnieM on October 15, 2009, 12:55:25 PMYou may regret not having bought the jewelry

Jewelry is the "fallback" if she doesn't specifically ask for something else.  She asked for the camera so I'm off the hook for a while (probably a very short while).

Speaking of jewelry, Susie was walking by her parents' bedroom one morning and saw them making love. Later she asked her mother what it was that they were doing and her mother told her, "Honey, that's how we make babies."

Several days later, she passed by the open bedroom door again and saw her mother's head buried between her father's legs.  When she asked if that was another way to make babies, her mother said, "No, Sweetie, that's how we make jewelry!"

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 15, 2009, 01:58:36 PMShould have sprung for the 18-200VR lens - only one lens to carry.  It is my new favorite walk-around lens.  Not as fast as I would like, but the VR gives me another 2-3 stops  AND don't have to lug the heavy glass.  Its the lens on the camera in the pic.

The last SLR camera I had was a Minota SRT101 back in the early 70s (which my daughter still uses for B&W) so I don't understand any of what you said except the part about carrying one lens instead of two.  That makes sense, but she's doing the carrying so it's not my problem (Yeah, right).

Caneyscud

The last SLR camera I had was a Minota SRT101 back in the early 70s (which my daughter still uses for B&W) so I don't understand any of what you said except the part about carrying one lens instead of two.  That makes sense, but she's doing the carrying so it's not my problem (Yeah, right).

Just had my SRT101 cleaned and adjusted last year!   Like a Timex = keeps on ticking!  Can't seem to be able to part with it.  Not really sentimental - but sure do understand those old cameras better than these new ones.  But then I'm a sucker for manual cameras.  All my medium formats are twin-lens reflexes even have 2 or 3 view cameras (4x5, 5x7, and an 8x10).  The Zone system rocks.  Man those are fun to work with - but only with access to a darkroom.