Some local pictures?

Started by ArnieM, October 06, 2009, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Oh, Carolyn reminded me of one more to post...  My brother-in-law took this from outside his office, back in 2004.   Nobody was hurt, no residential damage occurred.

(click for larger version)

I'd say those 'walls of dirt' would freak me out, WTS..

ArnieM

Thanks to all for your participation.  This seemed like an interesting idea at the time.  It came about after seeing HR's house pics and the gorgeous pics dbrown1 posted, even though  it doesn't directly have anything to do with smoking.  More of a gettin' to know everyone a bit better kind of thread.

We've had a few twisters touch down around here but they're pretty rare.  Like Carolyn, though, we can get some pretty nasty thunder storms.  Currently, it's partly cloudy, about 63 degrees and wind gusts are pushing 40.

Here's a few from a couple of years ago.  My road is paved but going out of the driveway and hanging a right, it doesn't last for long.

This is a house where the paving ends.

View from the street.  Mae Schmidle still lives there.  She used to be in the CT house of reps and our street USED to be plowed pretty good.

Turning left past the house, we get to this road, taken in the fall.

This is the same piece of road taken in the winter.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Kummok

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 07, 2009, 11:56:05 AM
That last photo would be a horse, right?  It seemed to fit the descriptions I've seen (a leg at each corner, dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle) but I though I'd double-check.

Sounds to me like you might have done some cowboy'n Ka Huna...you got 'em pegged!! Grew up working horses/cattle and developed an intense fondness for motorcycles at an early age as a result!  ;)

Ka Honu

Quote from: Kummok on October 07, 2009, 02:32:37 PM...you got 'em pegged!! ... developed an intense fondness for motorcycles... as a result! 

Never cowboyed but did do a bunch of riding back in the day (when I weighed less than the horse).  Always thought of them as pretty low on the scale of desired transportation and also developed a taste for fast iron.  Don't even do that anymore - too many really bad drivers out there, can't ride very far on the island without passing yourself, kidneys yell louder than they used to, and got tired of bugs in my teeth.  I do still enjoy them convertible automobile thingies (especially since we get rag-top days year-round here).

The downside of my more "sedate" lifestyle is that I don't have a reputation worth living down to anymore.

Caribou

Thanks Squirt, now I'm going to have that reoccurring nightmare with the munchins and the flying monkeys!  :D
I'd don't know,  giant spinning clouds coming down out of the sky to get you seems kinda scary to me.
That is a really awesome pic though!! :D

Great pics Arnie!
Just beautiful...and that is one old building, too!
It will be snowing before you know it.  :)
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

In the field across the dirt rd from my front room. 3 1/2 hrs SE of pens.

nepas

ArnieM

Quote from: Caribou on October 07, 2009, 04:04:10 PM
Great pics Arnie!
It will be snowing before you know it.  :)
Carolyn

I J U S T   C A N ' T    W A I T. >:(
-- Arnie

ArnieM

NePas - No offense, but what is it?  A deer?  A Moose?  An Elk?  A rare long legged rabbit?  ;)
-- Arnie

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

ArnieM

WTS, I don't think jackalopes are allowed on this side of the Mississippi  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

ArnieM

A few of the working farm down the road a piece.  One can't just go wandering around on someone's property taking pictures so I knocked on the door and spoke to the owner.  He seemed kind of suspicious of me, maybe a revenuer or something.  He gave me permission and said it was good that I asked or I might have found myself on the wrong end of a 12 gauge.

This seems pretty typical of New England farms.

This might be a nice place for the in-laws.

This tractor is in pristine condition - only 120,000 acres on it.

And, once you get the tractor, you can fill her up here.

They were nice people.  They used to put produce and a cardboard box out at the roadside.  Take your produce and put some money in the box.  Unfortunately, some people started taking both.  So, they stopped.  What a shame.  Maybe that's what happens with urban sprawl.
-- Arnie

Wildcat

We still have a few folks here that sell produce and/or honey roadside by the honor system. Money box is secured real good, but the merchandise can be taken. Owners always indicate that they only put out a limited amount at a time and if someone needs it bad enough to steal, then they are welcome to it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

bigredsmoker

My turn:
At our cabin.

Flowers:

ArnieM

Thanks for the pics bigred.  It looks like your cabin is pretty much in the middle of nowhere.
-- Arnie

OU812

Here's a picture of a picture of my little place

That building above the pool is my smoking/prosessing shed
I'll try to remember to bring in my memory card some time, I have some pretty cool sun rise and sun sets.
Oh Ya I had about 50 turkeys in my back yard last night.
I dont hunt anything but rabbits on my property, its kinda cool having the birds around they help keep the grass hoppers down. I go to the neighbors for the turkey and deer.