Some local pictures?

Started by ArnieM, October 06, 2009, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossP

Here are a couple of pictures from about 2 1/2 hours from our house.
Good friends live here so we are often here camping and fishing.Well maybe
not were the picture was taken from but from the town in the picture.
First Picture is taken from the Mascot Mine which shut down in the 1950's.
The mine is built on the side of a mountain above Headley, BC.

From the main mine site. Bunkhouse below and town of Headley in the valley,
with the Silmilkemeen River running by the town.

Looking up from the Main mine site. Largest building is the cookhouse and bunkhouse,
The stairs are all new, there are over 900 stairs to get to the mine from the top. Getting
to the mine was easy, the climb back up was a b****.
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

ArnieM

Wow, look at those stairs.  Sorry, I'll take the escalator.  ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Hope there are two or three rest stops along the way.

classicrockgriller

One thing that I did learn on my trip .......I have a cousin that is a year or so older than me and thru the years we haven't stayed in touch like we should have.

He has always had a thing for Gumbo. He lives down in New Iberia, La. He told me he had to leave right after the funeral to get ready for the "National Gumbo Cook-Off" this weekend in New Iberia. Food Network is there for filming a show to be aired later. Last year he placed 3rd in the "Professional Division". New Iberia is also where they make Louisiana brand Hot Sauce. I have been in their plant and the hot sauce is fermented for 3 to 5 years and the vapors will make you eyes pop out of your head. Back to my couisin, He promised me he would take pics and e-mail to me and when and if he does I will post them. He said they are expecting over 100 teams this year.

Ka Honu

CRG - See if you can get the "unclassified" version of his recipe.  I'm always looking to improve my (already pretty good) gumbo skills.

classicrockgriller

I do know that he makes a stock of turnips and a few others that he mumbled and drains the stock and adds that to his rue.

I'll do my best.

classicrockgriller

We have plans to have a "Family Reunion" 2nd weekend in June and he said he would do some Gumbo. I will be watching, listening, note taking, and pic taking.

Ka Honu

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 10, 2009, 12:26:20 PMWe have plans to have a "Family Reunion" 2nd weekend in June and he said he would do some Gumbo. I will be watching, listening, note taking, and pic taking.

245 days and counting...

smokeitall

Here are a couple pics from hunting today.

Views from the area I currently bow and small game hunt....45 minutes from home.

Natalie 11, Adam 7...They loved shooting the guns, was Adam's first time.  I brought a 22 hand gun, 22 rifle w/scope, and a gun loaned to me from a good friend, an air powered 22 w/scope (great squirrel hunting gun)

SIA

classicrockgriller

NIce fall day, nice pics, great looking kids. Know you had fun.

Tenpoint5

How Did you get him to stand still long enough to take a picture of him Scott?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

Super glue on the bottom of his shoes  ;D

It was kind of funny..I try and walk quiet and teach them how to and it sounded like a herd of elephants behind me.  Adam really thought it was cool to step on every stick so they would break, and of course jump over everything he could find  :D
SIA

ArnieM

Nice looking country SIA.  I believe it's a good thing to be familiar with guns, handling, safety and respect at a fairly early age.  I'm sure I can get an argument on that one.  ;)

There's a state forest down the end of my street.  It has a big sign that says "HUNTING IS ALLOWED".  Occasionally, my wife and I go there for some handgun practice, calibers ranging from .22 to .44 Magnum; the latter gets kind of expensive.  I have a .177 air rifle with scope that I practice with too and that's fun and economical.  I don't hunt anymore.  I get my brisket at the store.  ;D
-- Arnie

Tenpoint5

That .177 air rifle would be good on them pesky little tree rats.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 10, 2009, 08:06:55 PM
That .177 air rifle would be good on them pesky little tree rats.

Actually I sometimes use the rifle to coax the deer off my property.  I use flat-nosed target pellets.  I'm sure they give a nice sting but won't penetrate or hurt the animal.  But these things just don't seem to learn. 

The tree rats aren't so bad.  But, every year or two there's one rat smarter than the other rats.  My bird feeder is pretty well protected.  But, there'll be one squirrel, every now and then, that studies the situation and manages to get on the feeder (evolution?).  My wife puts out peanuts for the chipmunks and squirrels.  But that one squirrel won't quit with the bird feeder.  S/He has to deal with the S&W .22 revolver.  Luckily, it hasn't shot back yet.
-- Arnie