Smoking a Whole Turkey

Started by oakville smoker, October 01, 2009, 11:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGW

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 01, 2009, 06:40:14 PM
JWG, are you talking about "oil" frying? Just wondering about beer buttin a turkey and moisture issues with the oil fry? I did one oil fry and it came out great, just tooooo much work and loss of oil and danger for me.   CRG

Good Lord no.  I'm thinking about frying (in oil), but not beer butting it.  Just a quick smoke, THEN frying it.

Myself, I find fried turkey a lot less work than other foods.  Inject it, Season outside and in let it sit overnight (in the fridge of course).  Get the oil going, and let the turkey sit.  I don't try and bring it to room temp, but I do want it more or less dry before I drop into the oil.

I find filling the frying pot with water and putting the naked turkey into the water helps with gauging where to fill the oil up to.  As you alluded to....to much oil means boil over, which means fire.

I could be the frying would kill any smoke flavor.....I might try anyway, I dunno.  Maybe fry first, THEN cold smoke it a bit   ;D :D

classicrockgriller

It would be interesting to see what happens. I am going to stand my bird up in a turkey frying stand so that smoke can hit inside and the outside and
just drop in the BE. Might do a test run in about a week when the big birds start flocken in.

The "loss of oil" was in reference to having nothing to do with $30 worth of oil after frying the Turkey.   CRG

JGW

DOH!  Yeah, copy that.  That's why always fry more than one when I'm doing it.  Generally speaking, you should be able to get 3-4 turkeys out of one batch of oil.  I have an automotive place down the road that will take the used oil.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KyNola on October 01, 2009, 01:36:59 PM
I have smoked a turkey and some will say I cheated my way through it.  Brine, inject and into the smoker at 250 for 2-3 hours and then move it into the house oven to finish roasting at 350 until the IT is 160-165.  I like to move it to the oven for the higher cooking temp and crisping up the skin.  I'm not a purist when it comes to finishing in the smoker.  When the smoke has stopped rolling the Bradley is nothing more than a 500 watt oven.

KyNola

Ky I am planning a Thanksgiving dinner for some of my  American friends here in Amman and would love to get your recipe on this one, the brine, the inject, wood trmps and time. I also would love CRG's input as I have seen what he has done on his new grill.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

rdevous

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 01, 2009, 04:11:20 PM
As Justin Wilson might say, "I ga-ron-tee a delightful dish.  You gonna love it!"

That reminds me.  I use to drive people to and from the airport for SuperShuttle BWI here in Maryland.  One day I picked up a group of seven people from Louisiana going to downtown DC from Baltimore's BWI Airport.  While driving I got talking to the gentleman in the front seat about Cajun cooking and such.  When I mentioned that I liked to watch Justin Wilson's show, he became upset and said "That boy ain't from Louisiana....he's from Port Arthur, Texas!!!  When we arrived at their stop in DC, I was unloading their luggage from the back of the van when I noticed the back of the gentleman from the front seat's jacket.  It was embroidered with the words Grand Wizard and had an emblem of a group who likes their sheets white!!!

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Hopefull Romantic

rdevous

I thhink I have seen that group in a march in Kokomo Indiana back in 79.

HR

classicrockgriller

rdevous, I grew up in  Port Neches, Tx 5 minutes from Pt Arthur city limits. I am not a klansman but am very familiar with their activies. Pt Arthur was really not that bad. The town of Vidor was the headquarters for the KKK.   CRG

Ka Honu

There are some rumors he was born in Mississippi but most agree he was born (and raised and lived most of his life) in Louisiana which shows that wearing sheets makes you stupid.

Hopefull Romantic

This is what Wikipedia had to say about Justin Wilson.

Justin E. Wilson (April 24, 1914 - September 5, 2001) was a southern American chef and humorist known for his brand of Cajun cuisine-inspired cooking and humor. He was a self-styled "raconteur" and a staunch political conservative.

Wilson was born in Roseland in Tangipahoa Parish, one of the "Florida Parishes" of Louisiana.[1] He began his career as a safety engineer while he traveled throughout Acadiana. His safety lectures that he made to refinery workers prompted him on the road to becoming a Cajun storyteller. He remembered it this way on the back cover of The Justin Wilson Cook Book:

"Way back when I first started as a safety engineer, I took myself pretty seriously, and I found I was putting my audiences to sleep. So having lived all my life among the Cajuns of Louisiana, and having a good memory for the patois and the type of humor Cajuns go for, I started interspersing my talks on safety with Cajun humor."

HR

OU812

Smoked Fried Turkey is the best of both worlds.

Just had to say it.  :D

Pellicle Pete

What is everyone's favorite flavor of smoke to use on a Turkey?

FLBentRider

I have used Hickory, Apple and Cherry.

We liked the Hickory the best.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pellicle Pete

Won't that make the white meat into dark?