Auber PID Thermal Cutoff?

Started by sodak, January 06, 2010, 11:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodak

OK...is it just mine?  The last two times I've tried to use my PID in my smoke shop (both times the ambient temp was in the 15-20* range in the shop), I've flipped on the power to the PID controller and nothing happens.

I remove the face plate from the control box (which has the PID mounted to it) and ran a space heater next to it to warm it up, and after about 10 minutes the PID fires up and works just fine for the rest of the smoke.  Same fix both times.  Didn't have any problems in the summer.

Is there some sort of "temperature" low end that this thing won't work at?  Naturally, I don't have the PID specs in front of me.

MPTubbs

I've read in a post somewhere on here that some have to warm up the probe with their hands to get to work.

Don't know if it's the same problem your having.

I've smoked twice with mine and no problems and my temps were in the teens.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Klondikesmoker

the temp in my garage the last few times has been -10C (10F)  after i turn the Auber on I just take the temp probe and hold it tight in my fist until the unit reads about 65-70 degrees.  By the time it cools down the smoker has warmed up enuf the auber stays on.  I believe the Auber won't start on its own until above 32F

Klondikesmoker

NePaSmoKer

Grab the probe to warm it then turn your PID on.

OU812

What has been said is correct. The Auber PID will not work under 32 F as that temp is outside of the parameters of the PID. I have my probe mounted in side my smoker and when its cold I just unplug the power cord going from the PID to the heating element and plug the cord directly into the wall outlet for about 2 min then plug back into the PID turn it on and your good to go.

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Smokin Soon

I have had this happen a couple of times when the weather was cold and damp, and it has not been used for a while. I keep it inside now, no more issues.

sodak

Thanks, all. 

The probe was a couple feet away inside the cabinet.  I was just warming the electronics (which made it work) - perhaps next time, prior to taking apart the cabinet, I'll try to bring the probe temp up a bit.

By the way, as I'm sure 10.5 will attest, for the past couple of days it's been perfect weather for cold smoking cheese here on the upper great plains!

Not so good, apparently, for PID electrons.