Onieda Circa 1960s Knife Set

Started by oakville smoker, January 04, 2010, 07:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Nice score.  Only recommendation I can give you is if you buy or make your own wood block, have the slots in a horizontal position so the knives are not stored on thier blade edge (verticle position).
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

oakville smoker

I got to thinking...  and that can be dangerous

I stuck my head under the kitchen cupboards, there is lighting under there so the cabinets look closer to the counter than they are.
I could probably hang a magnetic knife holder under there.  My only concern is kids.  My wife's son is autistic ( highly functional though ) and I would hope and pray he would not screw around with these babies. I do leave my other knives out that are in a block. 

One day I came home and he had a knife turned point down on the cutting board trying to open a package of something.  A block certainly would not stop that but it might be less tempting than a magnetic hanger
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

g

Try Lee Valley. www.leevalley.com They have a knike block that uses fibers & you can put any size knife in any position.

Ka Honu

Quote from: g on January 05, 2010, 11:31:00 AMTry Lee Valley. www.leevalley.com They have a knike block that uses fibers & you can put any size knife in any position.

They're selling the Kapoosh knife block I mentioned in an earlier reply.  Still worth looking at (and a lot less hassle than fabricating a custom solution).

oakville smoker

Thank you much for the Lee Valley suggestion.  I really like that idea.
I think there are some of the stores in my area or I will just order it on line
Then I can even get my existing knives in there as well and use what I need when I want it
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

oakville smoker

I just had a look at the Lee Valley site.  They only have one model, not sure if its the Kapoosh one that was mentioned
The website does not say who the manufacturer is.
The block is $37.50 and the magnetic hanger is $59.95
Does $37.50 seem like a reasonable price for a knife block like this ? 
My guess is yes.
They even have it in stock

Ka Honu

oak -

Here are some photos of the Kapoosh knife block.  This is the "large" model but doesn't have the extra part on the front for steak knives.

The top measures 4.75 inches square and it holds as many knives as you can slide in.  My "standard" wooden block is comparable (5 inches by 4.5 inches) and holds 10 knives.

This model will hold any blade up to 8.5 inches long.  My wooden block will take 10.5 inch blades at the top and 7-inchers at the bottom. 

As you can see, the rods are removable and can go in the dishwasher.  Retail is $29.99.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Ka Honu on January 06, 2010, 05:49:29 PM
oak -

Here are some photos of the Kapoosh knife block.  This is the "large" model but doesn't have the extra part on the front for steak knives.

The top measures 4.75 inches square and it holds as many knives as you can slide in.  My "standard" wooden block is comparable (5 inches by 4.5 inches) and holds 10 knives.

This model will hold any blade up to 8.5 inches long.  My wooden block will take 10.5 inch blades at the top and 7-inchers at the bottom. 

As you can see, the rods are removable and can go in the dishwasher.  Retail is $29.99.

and a pigtail flipper too  ;D

oakville smoker

Thanks for the pic
Guess where I am going on Saturday?  They want 12 bucks to ship this puppy and its a 10 minute drive for me to the store
This is exactly what I need.  I wasnt sure what the pipe thing meant, the pictures say a thousand words
I used to work for Kodak   LOL

Ka Honu

I got mine on eBay and bid retail plus tax minus the $15 shipping charge.  After adding the shipping back in, I paid exactly what I would have if it was available in Hawaii.  Bad joss to pay retail, but sometimes you just gotta go with it.

ronbeaux

I love that finger grove cut into the handle like that. It may not fit everyone's hand but you can get used to it! Good idea on that knife block too!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

KyNola

Man I like that Kapoosh knife block.  Seems like a great way to store knives.  I have the wooden block that came with my Wusthof(sp?) knives.

KyNola