I' am infected.

Started by Hopefull Romantic, October 07, 2009, 12:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

Yes I have Nepatatitis, Habititis, CRGtitis, 10.5titis and every other membertitis.

I was sipping my JD and thinking of all the unthinkable stuff that was smoked here; Habs' dates and olives, CGR's eggs for suppfast and God only knows about Nepas different things he smoked and I said I have to do some thing. Thinking back to Caribo's idea about marrying Jordanian food with smoke, the bulb went ON. So I decided to smoke this:

This is Labneh. A spreadable cheese a bit thicker in consistency than cream cheese and a Major breakfast staple in this part of the world. The green stuff is wild oregano grown in my garden.

Here I am taking small amounts of the cheese blend and rolling it into a ball in my palms. Pens note that I am not wearing surgical gloves

This is what 2 pounds made after and 25 minute of freezer chock. The closer one had the oregano, the further in has garlic salt and paprika

My trusted ET 73 when they went into the smoker for 2 hours of pecan.

Now this has nothing with what I am doing. This is for you Caneyscud in "retaliation"of a different thread.

I will post the results and how they would be stored as soon as smoke is over.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

You going to save them for breakfast, or eat them all tonight?   :D

Hopefull Romantic

God I wish I could Squirt. But as the rule of thumb would have it, I would have to wait for at least 10 days to two weeks (thanks Habs and Pens) before I do. But the catch is, they will be stored in such a way that would enable me to hit two birds with one stone.

Stay tuned as in about 40 minutes they should be done and I will post the follow up pics.

HR

Caribou

HR,
those look like they are going to be wonderful!
With those being a soft cheese will they take up a more smoke flavor as opposed to a hard cheese?
Now what is you neighbor complaining about?  The smoke?
My neighbor show up wanting food when the smoke makes it to his place!  :D

I'm going to wait the whole two weeks for my first cheese...day after tomorrow.
It's easy not to be tempted to taste early since it's vacuum sealed.  :D

Here's one to add to your "weird-things-to-smoke" list: figs!
I bought a tray of figs at Costco and had some left so I found a blog that told how to smoke figs and tried it.
They we pretty good, it was before I joined the forum or I would have taken pics of them.  :D
Carolyn

Hopefull Romantic

Yes Carolyn he was complaining about the smoke or the lack of guts to ask for some of whatever I am smoking.

HR

pensrock

Those look great. Let us know in 3 or 4 weeks how they taste.  ;) :)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: pensrock on October 07, 2009, 01:05:41 PM
Those look great. Let us know in 3 or 4 weeks how they taste.  ;) :)

pens 3-4 weeks, that is brutal. I will be content wit 2.

HR

pensrock

Quotepens 3-4 weeks, that is brutal. I will be content wit 2.
;D ;D 2 will be fine, I just wanted to see if your reaction.  :)

ArnieM

HR, you're not 'infected', you're 'affected' and it doesn't go away.  I've previously stated that I'm not a patient person.  Low and slow takes too long for me.  But the cheese is a killer.  But, take heart in knowing how long the JD has to be aged before you can get your lips on it.  ;D

Your "cheese balls" look good.  Please be sure to report back.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on October 07, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
HR, you're not 'infected', you're 'affected' and it doesn't go away.  I've previously stated that I'm not a patient person.  Low and slow takes too long for me.  But the cheese is a killer.  But, take heart in knowing how long the JD has to be aged before you can get your lips on it.  ;D

Your "cheese balls" look good.  Please be sure to report back.

I totally agree with you about the aging of JD, The problem is that it is aged in Lynchberg and not right under my nose.

HR

Hopefull Romantic

Okay this is the final outcome. The Labneh packed into a mason jar and smothered with Pure olive oil. No EVOO here. Just the real thing.

This way, I shall have my Labneh as I imagined and will have left over smoked Olive oil in the process.

HR

Caneyscud

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 07, 2009, 02:00:09 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on October 07, 2009, 01:35:49 PM
HR, you're not 'infected', you're 'affected' and it doesn't go away.  I've previously stated that I'm not a patient person.  Low and slow takes too long for me.  But the cheese is a killer.  But, take heart in knowing how long the JD has to be aged before you can get your lips on it.  ;D

Your "cheese balls" look good.  Please be sure to report back.

I totally agree with you about the aging of JD, The problem is that it is aged in Lynchberg and not right under my nose.

HR
Uh.  on a good day, while wading the rivers I fish in, I can catch a waft of some of that aging JD.  

Plus in about 2 weeks The Jack will be in Lynchburg, and I will be right there tasting and smelling all that good barbecue and JD.  Can't wait!  Then I can play the coveted games of Bung Pitching and Butt Bowling.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

HR, that looks really good.  I never would have thought of the olive oil.  Is that the way the cheese normally comes?

CS, wow, a river of JD.   ;D  Those must be some happy fish!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caribou

Well they sure look good HR  :)
There you go, smoked olive oil, too.
I put boiled eggs in the vinegar left behind after we eat our pickled beets.
2 for 1's are always good!
Carolyn

Caneyscud

Quote from: ArnieM on October 07, 2009, 02:51:21 PM
HR, that looks really good.  I never would have thought of the olive oil.  Is that the way the cheese normally comes?

CS, wow, a river of JD.   ;D  Those must be some happy fish!
Arnie, they sorta look like this!

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"