I' am infected.

Started by Hopefull Romantic, October 07, 2009, 12:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Caneyscud on October 07, 2009, 03:09:44 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on October 07, 2009, 02:51:21 PM
HR, that looks really good.  I never would have thought of the olive oil.  Is that the way the cheese normally comes?

CS, wow, a river of JD.   ;D  Those must be some happy fish!
Arnie, they sorta look like this!

You know CS, it is some how how I feel. It is like I have re - invented the wheel. No one who know this cheese has ever thought of smoking it. I am timpsy with acheivemnet a little JD di not hurt either.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Caribou on October 07, 2009, 02:59:36 PM
Well they sure look good HR  :)
There you go, smoked olive oil, too.
I put boiled eggs in the vinegar left behind after we eat our pickled beets.
2 for 1's are always good!
Carolyn

You know the old saying; two choices are better than one. If One should fail the other would prevail..
HR

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on October 07, 2009, 02:51:21 PM
HR, that looks really good.  I never would have thought of the olive oil.  Is that the way the cheese normally comes?

CS, wow, a river of JD.   ;D  Those must be some happy fish!

No Arnie the cheese come in a block as you have seen it in the bowl without the oregano. Olive oil is added at the end.

And yes fish would look like that if they were to sswime in a JD river. Heck I do that when i finish 3/4 of a JD liter.

HR

NePaSmoKer

HR

This looks fabulous. I'm going to try it.

nepas

ArnieM

Where are you going to get the cheese NePas?  I've never heard of it around here.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

I found a few places selling it online...

I bet any large Greek/Lebanese/Middle Eastern population centers would have grocery stores that carry it...

KyNola

Hady,
The consistency of that cheese looks very similar to goat cheese or chevre.  Are you familiar with it and is it close?  If so, you may have hit a HUGE home run in the States with smoked goat cheese.

Either way, I love your thought process on this.

Larry

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on October 07, 2009, 04:17:27 PM
HR

This looks fabulous. I'm going to try it.

nepas

I would love to hear your feedback on this one Nepas and Squirt is absolutely right you would find it in those stores. Just try to get out of oil.

HR

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: KyNola on October 07, 2009, 07:48:30 PM
Hady,
The consistency of that cheese looks very similar to goat cheese or chevre.  Are you familiar with it and is it close?  If so, you may have hit a HUGE home run in the States with smoked goat cheese.

Either way, I love your thought process on this.

Larry

You are right Ky it is similar to Goat cheese and chevre (more so to Feta or Goat cheese) but a bit more sticky and more managable as well. It is also made of cow milk and not goat. As for the home run, I will have to wait the couple of weeks  >:( >:(. I sorta licked my fingers after putting them in the mason jars and ... sure enough ASHTRAY flavor.

HR

HawkeyeSmokes

HR, that looks and sounds great! Do you think using fresh mozzarella with some minced garlic in the oil would work? The combo of smoked cheese and garlic plus olive oil! Hmm?  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on October 08, 2009, 07:33:41 PM
HR, that looks and sounds great! Do you think using fresh mozzarella with some minced garlic in the oil would work? The combo of smoked cheese and garlic plus olive oil! Hmm?  ;D

One of the many things I have learned in this forum (besides being jealous of Nepas for all freebies he gets) is to experiment. I think the mozzarella combination would be good. I just have to mention that the cheese I used here (labneh) has a higher content of salt than mozzarella and the contrast between the saltiness of labneh and the sweetness of the olive oil would be more recognisable.

HR

squirtthecat

I wonder if mushrooms would work?  They seem to be a smoke sponge, so maybe they would 'give up the goods' if you smoked a bunch of them, then soaked in EVOO for a week or so.. (strain before using)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 09, 2009, 05:00:20 AM

I wonder if mushrooms would work?  They seem to be a smoke sponge, so maybe they would 'give up the goods' if you smoked a bunch of them, then soaked in EVOO for a week or so.. (strain before using)

I have done stuffed smoke mushrooms on the Bradley and yes the do soak alot of smoke (I guess with all the pores on the surface) but did not think about putting mushroom in oil. Huh...light bulb on again!!!

HR

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 09, 2009, 05:13:39 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on October 09, 2009, 05:00:20 AM

I have done stuffed smoke mushrooms on the Bradley and yes the do soak alot of smoke (I guess with all the pores on the surface) but did not think about putting mushroom in oil. Huh...light bulb on again!!!

HR

I would be a little concerned about the mushrooms going bad while in the olive oil. Now if a person wanted to flavor some vinegar, then I would think they would keep quite a while and you might wind up with some tasty pickled mushrooms.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

We had some mushroom caps stuffed with crab meat the other day.  They were done in the oven; not smoked, at least on purpose, and they were wonderful.  I might try some smoked ones.

Also, I was thinking about this. 

My wife got some cherry peppers stuffed with provolone wrapped in prosciutto.  The peppers were pickled first and then packed in a jar with oil.  I can put up a photo of the jar if anyone likes.

So, I thought - core the cherrys and give them a 2-3 minute parboil in water, vinegar and salt.  Drain and cool.  Stuff with the provolone wrapped in prosciutto.  Smoke them for a couple of hours with apple or pecan, maybe oak, at 210-220.  Cool 'em and pack 'em in oil.  Let sit.  I guess this would sit somewhere between ABTs and smoked cheese.  Anyone have any ideas or maybe have tried this before?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.