Cold smoker attachment

Started by KevinG, October 07, 2009, 07:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

I've been intrigued by the cheese that all of you've been smoking and wanted to try it for myself. I bought the cold smoker attachment made by Bradley and went to hook it up, but the pipe completely unraveled. I tried to put it back together, but had no luck. Has anybody else had this problem and found a solution?

Kevin
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Kevin I don't have a CS Adapter but I think I remember someone saying that you could get 4 inch metal flex duct to work. Or just turn on your smoke generator and leave the heater off, put a tray of ice on the bottom rack and cold smoke that way. I do and it works pretty good
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on October 07, 2009, 07:32:59 PM
Kevin I don't have a CS Adapter but I think I remember someone saying that you could get 4 inch metal flex duct to work. Or just turn on your smoke generator and leave the heater off, put a tray of ice on the bottom rack and cold smoke that way. I do and it works pretty good

Thanks, just found the thread. I must have skipped over it.

Kevin

Quarlow

Hey Kevin I went with the temporary cold smoker option

(note: cat body dettaches to enable attaching Bradley smoke generator) and I used 4" aluminum dryer pipe. This works really well.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

Quote from: Quarlow on October 07, 2009, 07:49:19 PM

(note: cat body dettaches to enable attaching Bradley smoke generator) and I used 4" aluminum dryer pipe. This works really well.

I like the setup, but don't think smoked cat would taste too good. Good thing it's detachable! ;D
Who carries that dryer pipe, I haven't seen it anywhere? (Of course I haven't needed to look for it till now).

Kevin

Ka Honu

If it happened that soon after you bought it, call Brian.

HawkeyeSmokes

Kevin, you should be able to get that a good hardware, building supply or appliance dealer. I have some that I bought a Menards. But, now that I think about it, It seems like there was a post that what comes with the cold smoker attachment is smaller than 4" so that may change things. Might try and contact Brian about that.
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Sorry I'm not familiar with him, is his number one of the numbers on the Bradley Website?

Kevin

Mr Walleye

Kevin

Brian from Bradley is also the forum moderator here on the forum but certainly just call Bradley's head office and ask for him. Their customer service really is second to none and they will look after you.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Quarlow

Yes he is a real good guy. In fact I will be having coffee at his house on friday when I go there to pick up the beta testing DBS. Atleast I will if he sends me his address. Yuk yuk.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

Thanks, I'll give it a try in the A.M.

Kevin

ArnieM

Quote from: Quarlow on October 07, 2009, 07:49:19 PM

I just love that picture Q and remember the original story.  What kind of cat is that?  And, don't say "smoked".  It looks like our Maine Coon.

Oh yeah, cold smoking.  I made a temporary setup with 4 inch plastic dryer vent hose and it worked well.  I'm going to be looking into something more permanent.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

Hey KevinG

same exact thing happened to me as soon as I wanted to hook it up to my smoker. It did not just get unraveled but it broke in a couple of places in addition to the fact that when my CS was assembled some one did not pay attention to try and seal and fasten it in a way so all what you would have to do is pull up and turn it 90 degrees to the right and hook up to the tower. I eventually had it replaced but with a 5 inch metal flex duct and now it is perfect. As a matter of fact I am building an enclosure with a permanent cold smoke setting in mind.

One thing you should be on the lookout for though, the sensor cable between the smoke generator and the tower is to short to accommodate the CS adaptor. You should have received a very small plug the you plug into the SG's back to fool it to think it is connected to the tower. Otherwise, you would get a fault (E1) on your generator. Mine did not come with that but Brian sent it one immediately plus an extra sensor wire in case I want to splice them together.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

Kevin;

As a fast solution, if you have a 4" flexible dryer hose around you can use that. The 4" hose will fit perfectly over the lip that extends from the top of the cold smoking box. A clamp would be useful, but I found it is not needed. The other end of the hose will fit perfectly through the side of the smoker cabinet. The plastic or laminated aluminum hoses work best for this type of setup.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KevinG

The only thing I had laying around was some aluminum foil. I had to try to create a tube out of it by wrapping around the sections that were still in tact. It sort of worked, but it won't stay in place too good. I was hesitant to use tape, because I didn't know how hot it would get. It also collapses at the slightest touch. Hopefully I can get a new section.

Kevin