Cold smoker attachment

Started by KevinG, October 07, 2009, 07:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Quotebut the pipe completely unraveled.

The same happened to me, I think Bradley need to look at the quality of the hose supplied with the cold smoke adaptor as it seems to unravel far too easily and there have been several reports here on the forum alone of this happening.

I didn't bother getting a replacement from Bradley as I could see the same thing happening, I bought a more substantial aluminium hose and fitted that instead.

Had a bit of a problem getting the right diameter but once I that sorted all has been well.  :)
Manxman

KevinG

Yea, I talked to Brian. Great guy! He said at least for my problem was that they used tape to attach the aluminum tube to the connecting plates, which made it impossible to turn when it didn't line up correctly even with loosening the hose clamps. He said the new models will not have the tape on them. I kind of agree with you though also about the type of tubing, but I don't know what else is out there that will flex like this does.

Kevin
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

Someone posted a link to flexible tubing (I believe they were made of silicon). I planned on purchasing some, as soon as I determine how much I need. I thought I bookmarked the thread, but now I can't seem to find it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 08, 2009, 01:52:37 PM
Someone posted a link to flexible tubing (I believe they were made of silicon). I planned on purchasing some, as soon as I determine how much I need. I thought I bookmarked the thread, but now I can't seem to find it.

I remember seeing that one, it was twl. Here's a link to it. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11046.0
HawkeyeSmokes

KevinG

Excellent! Looks like it might work a little better than the standard. If the new one Brian sends out unravels again, I think I'll order one of them.

Kevin

Quarlow

Well the cat, to me it is just a cat, but the elitist's in my house say she is a " Long haired tabby cat". The pipe I got from the Home depot and it fits inside the tower opening just perfect. The other end I got a 4" fishlock collar from Home depot and cut a hole in the top of the box and slipped it in from inside the box and then slipped the aluminum pipe over that which kept it from detaching from the box. I am now on the hunt for a 10 gallon hydraulic tank or some thing similar. Actually something aluminum or stainless would be good.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Quarlow on October 08, 2009, 07:37:06 PM
Well the cat, to me it is just a cat, but the elitist's in my house say she is a " Long haired tabby cat". The pipe I got from the Home depot and it fits inside the tower opening just perfect. The other end I got a 4" fishlock collar from Home depot and cut a hole in the top of the box and slipped it in from inside the box and then slipped the aluminum pipe over that which kept it from detaching from the box. I am now on the hunt for a 10 gallon hydraulic tank or some thing similar. Actually something aluminum or stainless would be good.

The difference is that the Bradley cold smoker has a different size hose than what is easy to get. I think it a 3 " If you make your own cold smoker, the 4" works well.
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Well it just so happens that they make the aluminum flex pipe in 3".
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

manxman

QuoteHe said at least for my problem was that they used tape to attach the aluminum tube to the connecting plates, which made it impossible to turn when it didn't line up correctly even with loosening the hose clamps.

I agree, sure the tape is part of the problem. I stripped all the tape off when I fitted the replacement hose but I do think they need a better quality hose as well.
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Besides problems with the type of hose that came with the Bradley, my main problem is I need something more flexible; like plastic, or laminated foil or the flex hose. Mine will have to bend in a lazy "S" shape.

I used the cardboard box for years and still occasionally use it with a 4" laminated foil hose. The Bradley hose is an odd size, it's between 4.75" - 5" in diameter, so you will need a 5" hose if you are replacing the hose on the Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

QuoteMine will have to bend in a lazy "S" shape.

Thinks we have discussed this before Habs but I too needed a lazy "S" shape and the original hose supplied was simply not long enough.

QuoteBradley hose is an odd size, it's between 4.75" - 5" in diameter, so you will need a 5" hose if you are replacing the hose on the Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter.

A very good point, I ended up getting a 5" hose which is a tad too big. Managed to sort it out when I clamped it to the adaptors but it does not look quite a tidy as I would like.
Manxman

KevinG

I'm kind of curious on the plastic hoses, won't they put a strange flavor on the meat, or dry out and crack from the smoke?

Kevin

ArnieM

I used a plastic 4 inch dryer vent hose for mine.  I can't comment on the flavor yet.  I did cheese and I'm still in my 'probationary' period. 

One advantage is that I can buy a 10 foot piece and cut it in half.  So, it's easily replaceable in case anything bad happens to it.  Actually, though, the hose takes much more heat when hooked to a dryer.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

QuoteThe Bradley hose is an odd size, it's between 4.75" - 5" in diameter, so you will need a 5" hose if you are replacing the hose on the Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter. 

Maybe you can find or get an adapter made to go from 5" to 4" and then use a heavy duty dryer vent hose like I use. Just a thought.