Cold smoker attachment

Started by KevinG, October 07, 2009, 07:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pensrock on October 09, 2009, 09:02:40 AM
QuoteThe Bradley hose is an odd size, it's between 4.75" - 5" in diameter, so you will need a 5" hose if you are replacing the hose on the Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter. 

Maybe you can find or get an adapter made to go from 5" to 4" and then use a heavy duty dryer vent hose like I use. Just a thought.

I haven't checked the internet yet, but I've looked in local hardware and big box stores. The closest I could find was an adapter for 6" to 4".

Manxman;

I recall that conversation. Not only the length is a problem, but the flexible metal hose was not flexible enough.

KevinG,
New out of the package there may be a slight plastic odor, but if you have concerns just season the hose prior to placing anything in the smoker. I haven't use a fully plastic hose. In my area they mainly sell the laminated foil hose. That is aluminum foil, laminated between two sheets of clear plastic.

Click to enlarge.
Laminated foil hose.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

I looked around the internet and also found 6-4 round as the closest. 

Habs, good idea to season the PVC dryer duct hose.  I didn't think of that.  My cheese isn't ready to try yet but I'll give an opinion when it's ready.  I gave a couple of hunks away to friends.  So, if they start throwing them at me I'll figure the plastic didn't work.  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

I am going to Home depot and I will let you know if they have something like that.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Mr Walleye

It's definitely available. Here is a link to 5" at Ace Hardware...
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(imrpdwunaz1ibh4511om1545)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=47750

There are numerous companies that sell Aluminum Duct Reducer/Increaser/Adapters from one size to another as well. Here is a link to one cataloge. If you snoop through it you will find all sorts of Reducer/Increaser/Adapters.
http://www.standexadp.com/pdf/catsnappy.pdf

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KevinG

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 09, 2009, 01:48:36 PM
Quote from: pensrock on October 09, 2009, 09:02:40 AM
QuoteThe Bradley hose is an odd size, it's between 4.75" - 5" in diameter, so you will need a 5" hose if you are replacing the hose on the Bradley Cold Smoke Adapter. 

Maybe you can find or get an adapter made to go from 5" to 4" and then use a heavy duty dryer vent hose like I use. Just a thought.

I haven't checked the internet yet, but I've looked in local hardware and big box stores. The closest I could find was an adapter for 6" to 4".

Manxman;

I recall that conversation. Not only the length is a problem, but the flexible metal hose was not flexible enough.

KevinG,
New out of the package there may be a slight plastic odor, but if you have concerns just season the hose prior to placing anything in the smoker. I haven't use a fully plastic hose. In my area they mainly sell the laminated foil hose. That is aluminum foil, laminated between two sheets of clear plastic.

Click to enlarge.
Laminated foil hose.

The aluminum wrapped sounds like a better solution than just the plastic. Seasoning would definitely be a benefit also.

Kevin
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Quarlow

OK folks here is what I found.

The first item is a 4"to 5" plain reducer.
Then we got the 5" by 8' flex aluminum dryer pipe. Plus they 4" and 6" flex pipe.
They also had other sizes of these reducers. So if you can't find them let me know and we can figure something out to get ya one.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

KevinG

It's kind of hard to see the flex duct in the photo, did you happen to notice if it was wrapped like the Bradley duct, or is it set up so it can't unravel? If you didn't notice - no biggie, I'll head out to HD tomorrow and see if they have it by me.

Kevin

Quarlow

This is the same pipe I used for my cold box. It is not a laminated material. It is all aluminum more like automotive exhaust flex pipe. It is about 3' long when you get it and if you want it longer you just stretch it and it bends however you want it to.I'll take a pic of mine and post it.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

here is my pipe.

As you can see it is quiteflexible.

OBS
BBQ

KevinG

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ