"Best" smoke flavor for whole turkey

Started by Beerbrewer, October 17, 2009, 01:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerbrewer

Have a 12lb. turkey ready for brine..undecided as to what to smoke it with..I have hickory, apple,cherry, mesquite, pucks for the smoke..any favorites?? (I already know who is voting for mesquite) ;D Any favorite brine recipes are welcome also!!! Thanks in advance.
"They always talk of my drinking, but not of my thirst"

pensrock

KyNola

Pens,
You are a man after my own heart.  Hickory .

KyNola 

deb415611

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HawkeyeSmokes

I would go with a mix of apple and hickory. If you have a favorite, go with that one by all means. Good luck with it.
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

If you have a fav wood use it and then you will be happy.

West Coast Kansan

Old habits die hard and I always seem to go with the rule of thumb that says the lighter the meat the lighter the wood, which would be apple but mixing in hickory could give a nice smoke edge.

Your favorite is your favorite as they say...

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

pensrock

WCK, I see what you are saying but since this is a brined bird I think a stronger smoke would go well. I used maple on the spatchcocked breast I just did, mainly cause I'm about out of hickory, and it was fantastic. I think I'll use hickory next time. I do use a ton of apple on most of my cheeses and my ABT's. Overall, if I'm not sure what to use, I go with apple.

Beerbrewer

Going with a combo,Hickory and apple..Will let you know how it turns out.Thanks ;D
"They always talk of my drinking, but not of my thirst"

canadiansmoker

Typically with turkey I have gone with mesquite ;D

OU812

Apple or Alder for me when I do poultry.

Did you get your turkey done yet, if so how did it turn out?

ArnieM

Sorry.  It looks like I'm a little late here.  I did my last turkey with apple and pecan, 50/50.  I noticed pecan wasn't in your list BB.  In that case, I probably would have gone with 2:1 apple and hickory, or even 3:1.  In any case, let us know what happened.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

I've don Hickory, Cherry and Apple.

All were great.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!