Smoked Turkey and experimental brine

Started by Smokeville, October 08, 2009, 07:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

Rich that turkey looks scrumptious. Beautiful color enjoy.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

pensrock

Looks amazing, nice and moist. mmmmm  :)

squirtthecat

What were your final smoking/cooking times?

Quarlow

OMG that looks awesome, darn you Smokeville know I'm drooling on myself.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

That looks really good Smokeville.  What did the turkey weigh before brining?  I'm trying to figure out how large a turkey I can fit in the OBS.

I brined my turkey breast (about 9 pounds) last weekend with a mix similar to yours but with powdered/ground spices and no maple syrup.  It came out really well.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokeville

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 10, 2009, 07:53:51 AM

What were your final smoking/cooking times?

Almost exactly 4 hours with apple/maple smoke the whole time.... without the giblets and wing it weighed about 9lbs before brine. I used an instant read thermometer as my remote one died 20 minutes into the smoke. It read 165F on the thigh and 150F on the breast.

Then I let it rest while covered in foil for a few hours before carving. The breast was perfectly done and there was no "red" around the bones of the thigh.

Juice everywhere!

Smokeville

Quote from: ArnieM on October 10, 2009, 08:46:36 AM
That looks really good Smokeville.  What did the turkey weigh before brining?  I'm trying to figure out how large a turkey I can fit in the OBS.

I brined my turkey breast (about 9 pounds) last weekend with a mix similar to yours but with powdered/ground spices and no maple syrup.  It came out really well.

I've read that it's best to smoke turkeys under 10lb. Previously I did two of them at the same time. I think you could fit a 12-14lb bird on a rack, maybe?

I really liked the overdose of fresh herbs. The 4 bunches cost about $5 in total which is 1/2 the cost of the turkey ($9.29!). And the cup of maple syrup isn't cheap either...

ArnieM

Quote from: Smokeville on October 10, 2009, 10:27:35 AM
I really liked the overdose of fresh herbs. The 4 bunches cost about $5 in total which is 1/2 the cost of the turkey ($9.29!). And the cup of maple syrup isn't cheap either...

So, between the herbs, salt and brown sugar, maple syrup and 12 bisquettes, you had a pretty expensive turkey  ;)  But, it looked like it turned out really nice.  You just can't go out and buy one like that.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

MAK DADDY

Great job!! I have yet to cook a whole turkey, hope it turns out that good. Thanksgiving is coming, but the wife and are skipping to Mexico this year :)
WWW.MAKGRILLS.COM
NOW YOU'RE SMOKIN'

squirtthecat

Our cafeteria lady has access to food service/restaurant products, so I scored a couple cases of these guys:

http://www.perduefoodservice.com/Products/product_details.asp?productId=35002

I can make a TON of turkey sammy's from a 10 pound hunk o' turkey!

I thought about trying your brine on one, but they are already pumped with salt/sugar/stuff..

Mak Daddy - whereabouts in Mexico are you going?   We were down in Mazatlan last Easter.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 11, 2009, 05:04:33 AM

Our cafeteria lady has access to food service/restaurant products, so I scored a couple cases of these guys:

http://www.perduefoodservice.com/Products/product_details.asp?productId=35002

I can make a TON of turkey sammy's from a 10 pound hunk o' turkey!

I thought about trying your brine on one, but they are already pumped with salt/sugar/stuff..

Mak Daddy - whereabouts in Mexico are you going?   We were down in Mazatlan last Easter.

Squirt that 10lb turkey breast is actually only a 7lb breast injected with 32% water/broth salt and sugar. I see a lot of shrinkage when you take that out of the bag and smoke it. If you got a good deal on it who cares. If you would weigh it before and after the smoke just for 0z and giggles.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

MMM I haven't seen one of those since I was a teenager. My dad got a good deal on some and we were snackin' large while they lasted. They don't seem to have those up here or I am looking in the wrong places.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

g

I substitute low salt vegetable broth for the water & don't use maple syrup (kids don't like it). I quite often roast after brining & the gravy has exceptional flavor.