Brisket question

Started by watchdog56, October 15, 2009, 07:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I picked up a corned beef brisket flat at Sam's.  This may sound stupid but.Is there a difference between smoking a corned beef brisket vs. a regular brisket?

squirtthecat

Quote from: watchdog56 on October 15, 2009, 07:47:48 AM
I picked up a corned beef brisket flat at Sam's.  This may sound stupid but.Is there a difference between smoking a corned beef brisket vs. a regular brisket?

The corned one is already cured.  What you can do with it is make some killer pastrami...

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 15, 2009, 07:49:26 AM
Quote from: watchdog56 on October 15, 2009, 07:47:48 AM

The corned one is already cured.  What you can do with it is make some killer pastrami...

What squirt said

The smoking time for the pastrami will be shorter, you dont want it to fall apart when your slicing paper thin.

squirtthecat

Here is a lengthy thread with 2 pastrami-from-corned-beef pictorials that Up In Smoke started, and a recipe..

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11492.0

Give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

Habanero Smoker

Another thought, you don't have to make pastrami. You can just smoke it like brisket, and you will have cured beef brisket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on October 15, 2009, 01:55:47 PM
Another thought, you don't have to make pastrami. You can just smoke it like brisket, and you will have cured beef brisket.

A cured smoked brisket aint bad eather. I have done one of those corned briskets from the store like a normal brisket just dont put on the pack of spices that come with the corned beef. Put on your normal rub minus the salt, I just used, pepper garlic and onion powder and it turns out great. Dont add any salt cause there is plenty already in the corned beef.

Habanero Smoker

Instead of calling it cured beef, I should have said smoked corned beef. Which is the same, but smoked corned beef sounds better. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)