Starting a project and could use some advice (finished with pictures)

Started by jaredpost, October 09, 2009, 05:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaredpost

Hi everyone, I am new to the site and Bradley smokers. I just picked up a commercial food warmer and a Bradley smoke engine. I am used to smoking food on a chamber smoker for the last year using real wood so I'm not new to smoking food in general. I have been reading lots of the topics on this forum looking for answers and I have a good idea of what I need to do but would like some ideas on the best way to set it up.

I like to "hot smoke" most things like briskets and ribs and such so I need to find a good heat source to put in the unit. I liked the idea of propane so I didn't have to deal with adding an outlet to run and electric element but would like to know some people's opinion on both. Is there anyway to regulate the heat easily with propane so I can maintain a constant temperature overnight without having to check on it? The main reason I liked the bradley smoker was that I could run it overnight instead of getting up in the middle of the night to start my old smoker.

I'm open to using an electric element if that would make for a more stable smoking environment. The dimensions of the unit are 18X28x48 so its a medium sized unit about the size of a refrigerator compartment. I've seen a lot of acronym's for the thermostats and such but have no idea what most of them mean. If anyone has a preferred brand or type please let me know so I can compare a few of them.

Will it make a difference where I mount the smoke engine? I am going to have it come through on the left but wasn't sure if I should put it in the middle or towards the back. I was assuming that it would be better for the heating element to go directly in the middle and the smoke engine a little more towards the back. Any suggestions there? I put a few pictures below so you can get a better idea of what I am trying to work with. If I left out any details let me know.

Thanks again for any advice for this newbie. Looking forward to getting to know some of you better.

Quarlow

Doh, that is what I am looking for also. Hey jaredpost and welcome to the forum. I don't have all the details but there is a couple of the guys on here who have already done this and can help you with the details. One of them will be along soon and might even answer before I can type this out. You are going to love this forum. Someone always has an answer to your questions.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum jaredpost. That looks like a sweet project in the making. If it was mine, I would use electric to heat it and a PID to control the temperature. There are ways to do it with gas, but IMHO electric would be much easier. (Hank Hill would say propane) As to where you mount the heat source and smoke generator, I think your idea of keeping the heat source centered is good. The smoke generator can be mounted as you see fit but I would make a diffuser plate to put over it. And a drip plate to catch grease.
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

My suggestion would be an 2600 watt element at 220 V, kinda like the one on your stove top and if you cant or dont want a PID get a steam oven thermostat and put a bottom in that big guy with only a 2" inlet. Put the smoke generator in the side with some heat defusers and an 4" vent with a damper, the smoke will fill the cabnet with no problems.

Oh Ya My Bad, Welcome to the fun of smoking.

smokeitall

First, welcome to the forum.  There are a couple of us doing the same thing.  I am in the middle of mine right now.  I am installing a 5500 watt 220V heater (1800 on 120V) with a blower for circulation.  I am using a custom set up with a touch screen and PLC with a 2 channel thermocouple input for heater control.  Here is a couple pics, I plan on putting more up in the coming weeks as the project continues.  Another member 10.5 is also building one, he got his warmer for a case of pork bellies, two of which are in my smoker right now.  :)

Here is a couple of pics of mine:

Tenpoint5

Quote from: smokeitall on October 09, 2009, 06:52:35 PM
First, welcome to the forum.  There are a couple of us doing the same thing.  I am in the middle of mine right now.  I am installing a 5500 watt 220V heater (1800 on 120V) with a blower for circulation.  I am using a custom set up with a touch screen and PLC with a 2 channel thermocouple input for heater control.  Here is a couple pics, I plan on putting more up in the coming weeks as the project continues.  Another member 10.5 is also building one, he got his warmer for a case of pork bellies, two of which are in my smoker right now.  :)

Here is a couple of pics of mine:

Damn I should have done two cases of Bellies maybe I could have gotten the insulated cabinet!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

You can borrow it any time you want it buddy  :)  You got a big smoke coming up or something you let me know and I will meet you half way.  You could probably do a few hundred lbs between the two of ours  ;D  that is if we ever finish them.  I gotta five you a call one of these days so we can catch up.
SIA

Ka Honu

HR - There's the answer to your lamb problem (plus you could probably hang some sausages down the sides at the same time).

Hopefull Romantic

Hey Jaredpost and welcome to the forum and its addictions. I would also lean towards the electric option and PID or similar control. It can maintain the temp very accurately to a + / - 1 degree. One of our members Nepas, has built an impressive smoke house with gas and I am not sure, but I cant remember if there was a temp control attached.

KH, that would be a great idea, I am gonna start looking if they are available here. Otherwise, I am going to see a butcher this afternoon who was recommended by my mother in law, for being able to have rather smaller than usual sheep.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

jaredpost

Thanks for all the great tips. I think I will go with the electric for the easier factor. I was looking at some of them at Lowe's today and they had some 1500 watts and then some 2600 watt. What is the benefit of going with 220 vs 110? I don't know very much about electrical circuits.

What is a good PID control that I should consider? Is there much difference between brands for accuracy? Do I need a blower or fan inside to make it more of a convection oven?

The unit I have didn't come with any racks. Does anyone know a good place to get some that are about 18 x 24?

thanks again everyone.

Hopefull Romantic

as far as the PID, some of the forum members built their own and others are using this one:

http://www.auberins.com/

Look for the Bradley smoker PID.

As for the rest of your stuff, I am sure that some one will be here shortly to assist you.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Quarlow

The reason HR suggests the "Auberins" is because it is plug and play with the bradley smoke generator. Which really simplifies things. As for the 110-220,one of the others will fill you in on it but basicly more power is better But you have to consider your power sources. If you have access to 220 great, but if you don't you wuold have to get an eletrician to do some wiring for you. Were as 110 is easier to get. Plus if you were to take your smoker to someplace else are they going to have 220, probably not. You will have to weigh the options. I would use 220 myself because I have already rewired an outlet in my house for it for my welder. Or you could get a cord from your dryer plug in. The guys on here will most likely encourage 220.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

jaredpost

With the PID units from auberins there seem to be few different plug-n-plays to choose between. The one that says Bradley smoker controller says its only rated for up to 1440 watts. The multi-purpose controller and the precision temperature controller are the two that seem to be what I would need. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8 does anyone have knowledge of which of these two would be better?

For the heating element itself, should I just find a hotplate or buy the actual oven replacement parts and make one (not sure how to do this but could find out if necessary)? If I would buy a hotplate, would the cord be ok in the smoker or would I need to get one that could handle higher temperatures?

For my house situation I don't think I would be in a position to put in a 220 outlet so I'm gonna need to stick with the 110.

Mr Walleye

Jared

Here is a link to the one I built. If you read through the entire thread (5 pages long with photos and wiring diagram) you will see how I setup my PID to control 2 separate SSR's which run 2 separate 110 volt circuits. In my opinion you are going to want a minimum of 2000 watts and maybe even 2500 watts. Unfortunately you can only comfortably run 1500 watts on one 110 volt circuit without over loading it. I'm running 2300 watts and at times I could use more although it works fine. Certainly if I was doing it over it would be 2500 watts. Anyway, here is the link...

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7616.0

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

jaredpost

Thanks for the help Mr Walleye.

I have found an electric element for converting a charcoal smoker that is 1500 watts at cabelas. I plugged it in to see if it would be enough for the unit and after 30 minutes I was up to 200* so I think for now I'm gonna try using it. I found a sheet pan that covers the entire bottom so I am using that as my drip pan. When I mount the smoker engine I'm planning to mount a piece of metal flashing over it to keep the drippings off the element. All I need now is a PID controller but I might have to wait a little while before getting enough money together.

thanks again for everyone's help on this. I'll try to put some updated pictures on here after I start putting it together.