Starting a project and could use some advice (finished with pictures)

Started by jaredpost, October 09, 2009, 05:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jaredpost on October 13, 2009, 01:11:53 PM
I might have to wait a little while before getting enough money together.

I feel your pain!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

jaredpost

Well I'm almost done putting it together, a lot more work than I thought drilling the holes through this monster. I ordered a plug n play PID a few days ago so when that gets here I'll have everything I need. I'll put some pics up as soon as I am finished. Then its time to try out some of the recipe's on here that have sounded good.

Thanks again everyone for all the help with my smoker.

jaredpost

I'm finally done!!! I got my PID from Auber and everything is good to go. I am noticing a lot of smoke leaking out the side where the smoke engine is mounted. Is this normal? Is there some kind of insulation or foam tape I could put around the hole in the unit to stop the smoke from escaping?

Right between the unit and the smoke engine is where the smoke seems to come out.

HawkeyeSmokes

I wouldn't try to seal that area. Make sure that your top vent is open and use that to control it. Preheating first with no smoke should help to by creating a natural updraft.
HawkeyeSmokes

Mr Walleye

Jared

When you had smoke leakage around the generator were you running the heating element? I'm not sure but maybe if you weren't there may not have been enough heat rising to draw the smoke up and out the vent. I looked back but I don't see what size vent you used on top.

The other thing I notice on mine is when I have the main door open and the smoke generator running, when I close the door it causes smoke to backup out the generator for brief period. I think that is just the air pressure of closing the large door.

You really don't want to use any type of gasket material between the cabinet and the generator as this would cause the smoke to flow right through the generator and out the venting on the back of the generator. I'm pretty sure this is a top vent issue, either not open enough or not large enough.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

jaredpost

I'm pretty sure when I noticed the problem that I was not using the heating element yet. I'll try warming up the cabinet first and then starting the smoke and see if that fixes the problem.

The vent hole is 4 inches. I saw a link on someones post the other day about a fan at home depot that would draw the air up through the vent. If the problem still happens when the cabinet is warmed up would this be a good addition?

HawkeyeSmokes

Hi Jared,
I did that post about using an inline fan. Looking at your setup, I really don't think you should need it. You have a direct vent out the top that should work once heated up. 
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

That smoker is going to be sweet when you get it fine tuned.

I also think that once you get heat creating a draft, before you start the generator, would eliminate the smoke from coming out the generator.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jaredpost on November 01, 2009, 05:25:18 PM

/quote]

Jared I was wondering if you would raise the front of your drip shield some if that would fix your problem. It appears that at the angle it is at now the shield is directing the smoke back at the smoke generator. This could be as simple of a fix as just pulling up on the front of the shield. Forcing the smoke up and away instead of up and back toward the smoke generator.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Jared

To add to 10.5's advice... The smoke generator adapter has the "drip guard" built right into it and you really don't been the additional guard that you have made. If you look at an OBS or DBS they don't have the protection like the adapter has because those models have the V-pan above the generator. Here is a picture of the inside of my DBS for you to compare... Not a real good picture but you can see the pucks on the burner plate with no guard as with the adapter.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mrdennisg

Hey found your post Great looking unit I have done it also with great success .....

To heat mine:

I used a simple easy to find heating element from a portable 110 volt heater
make sure you use the kind with the glass type element I will post an image of the element .

I have held 300 deg with this thing......

First smoke

need to put my PID in this winter.

Patience

Great units guys!  Kind of funny today I am just sitting around (smoker going of course) and decided to clean out my explorer favs.  I havn't posted here forever.   Reading your post I thought I'd throw in a comment as you may or may not run into it. I included the post of when I finished my smoker below...and wouldnt you know its a year ago to the day?!?!?!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8219.msg84782#msg84782

If you look at my doors, they are much thinner than yours.  I had to put latches on the very top and bottom to prevent warping.  If I crank the box to 225 or more for odds and ends the doors will warp just enough to lose the seal by just having the middle latch.  Your door may be strong enough though.

Great project!

Patience
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg