Bradley Modifications

Started by Dakota Smoker, October 10, 2009, 09:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakota Smoker

Hi  Thought I would pass on a couple of modifications that I've made to my Bradley 6-rack digital smoker.  Living in NC North Dakota I wanted some shelter for my smoker so that I could use it year round.  I put it in a storage shed (right next to my beer fridge) and vented it with a water heater chimney.  Prior to buying my Bradley I had a circular electric smoker.  I took the unit from this and mounted it between the bottom rack and the drip pan.  This helps alot for pre-heating and allows me to smoke larger batches.  I presently have about 25 pounds of pork loin in it that will be Canadian bacon in a couple of hours.  I cut a hole on the right hand side of the Bradley and my controls are very handy.  If you decide to try this make sure you seal the area well.  Using the added heater takes away the ability to set your timers and walk away, but I think most of us are active rather than passive smokers anyway.  Hope this may be of some help to others.

classicrockgriller

DS, welcome to the forum. Can you take some pictures and post them on what you have done. Thanks   CRG

Dakota Smoker

Having problems inserting photos.  Any tips??

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

DS, that is nice... have you had to worry about flare ups? If you set and leave your add on coil, then why couldn't the pid controll the temp with the Bradley heating element?

Dakota Smoker

Under some circumstances it does work, but it seems that until the the Bradley can take over on it's own the heating element needs tweaking to keep the temp close to the desired level.

classicrockgriller

I can not tell from the pic, Did you replave your V tray with a flat tray?

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

joerom

Hello,
      How well does the vent work for you.I tdoes not look like it has to go too high.
                                           Joe.

Dakota Smoker

Hi Joe,  The stack is about 2 1/2 feet high.  It works well.

classicrockgriller

Do you remember any of the capabilites of the heating element you added when it was in the old unit? Like how hot it will heat up to, etc.

Dakota Smoker

The indicator on the control goes up to 450.

classicrockgriller

Did you plug into same fuse box as the bradley or have to split them?