first cold smoke

Started by squirtthecat, October 10, 2009, 04:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

It's 45 here, on the way to 25 overnight... 

Let's smoke something!

The lineup:

Oops, forgot the peanuts:

Into the (commercial Bunn-O-Matic) coffee filters:

Ready to go:  (note the NePas trick)

I've got 2 hours 20 minutes of Oak + Apple.  I'll pull the cheese around the 2 hour mark.

While that is going, I'm making 15 bean chili/soup in the pressure cooker...  Hurst beans, rotel tomatoes, smoked turkey sausage.   The Mrs is on a plane to the West Coast, so I'm baching it until Thursday.

classicrockgriller

squirt, you behave yourself....yea right!

Did you soak the peanuts in anything?

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 10, 2009, 04:41:41 PM
squirt, you behave yourself....yea right!

She travels a lot with her mom, so I'm old hat at this 'behaving' thing.  :D

Did you soak the peanuts in anything?

Nope.   This was a request from my buddy..  I emailed him that I was smoking some salt/peppercorns/paprika and cheese and he said to throw a bag of peanuts in.  Okey Dokey!   Not sure how they will turn out, but that is his call.   They were left over from the ball park..

Hopefull Romantic

Great Squirt. I would be interested in the outcome of the salt, spices and the peanuts. It seems that you have the peanuts in the shell and I wonder it they would soak up any smoke.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

If the peanuts have no smoke the shells will. Instructions: shell peanut (after smokin them) stick shell in mouth till your mouth taste smoke, spit out and eat peanut.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: classicrockgriller on October 10, 2009, 05:04:18 PM
If the peanuts have no smoke the shells will. Instructions: shell peanut (after smokin them) stick shell in mouth till your mouth taste smoke, spit out and eat peanut.

Some people would go the distance to get the smoke flavor.

HR

squirtthecat

Yep, I was wondering the same thing...   Smoked shells?

Anyway - he gets them.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 10, 2009, 05:09:45 PM

Yep, I was wondering the same thing...   Smoked shells?

Anyway - he gets them.

Hey Squirt there is an idea for you. lollipops made of smoked peanuts shells. You suck on them for a while and then eat whatever is there to give it that smokey flavor. I wonder if that would fly.

HR

squirtthecat

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on October 10, 2009, 05:14:38 PM

Hey Squirt there is an idea for you. lollipops made of smoked peanuts shells. You suck on them for a while and then eat whatever is there to give it that smokey flavor. I wonder if that would fly.

HR

That's actually how I eat salted in the shell peanuts...   Quick 'suck', crack them open, eat.

Hopefull Romantic

So you think it would fly ??? ???

HR

squirtthecat

Update:

Cheese is out...   Cabinet temps touched 91 up at the top, even with outside temps at 41*.   

Question..  When can I vacuum seal it?   Should I cool it in the fridge first?

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: squirtthecat on October 10, 2009, 05:52:57 PM

Update:

Cheese is out...   Cabinet temps touched 91 up at the top, even with outside temps at 41*.   

Question..  When can I vacuum seal it?   Should I cool it in the fridge first?

I would leave it out for about 30 - 45 minutes and then vacuum seal it. That should be enough. Just make sure that you wipe off any water condensation if any.

HR

Caribou

Squirt,
It all looks good!
I'm interested in how those peppercorns taste...what a great idea  :)
Carolyn

smokeitall

I have some shelled peanuts that I am wanting to smoke.  I was going to order some of those high temp screens with the small holes but now that I see the coffee filter trick I think I will give it a go in the morning if I have time.  I was going to get the pnuts slightly wet with EVOO and then use some BBBR and then smoke.  Any idea on how long I should smoke pnuts?
Thanks Squirt
SIA

Tenpoint5

OK Give it up Squirt!!!! How did everything turn out?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!