Will smoking fish affect the flavor of smoking meat?

Started by daikonmike, October 11, 2009, 08:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daikonmike

Hi everyone! I'm new here and just purchased an OBS from BBQ GALORE for $100.00 (they thought it was missing parts, SHA RIGHT!, the briquette holder.) I had only just heard about the Bradley recently and knew of the prices, so when the guy said " A hundr....." , I said "Sold!".
  So, my question is will smoking fish season the smoker box adversely so as to impart unwanted flavors on any meat that I may smoke next time.
Is it ok,good,bad,should I clean the smoker box before smoking meat? Also, anyone ever try to make chipotles out of jalapenos? Thanks! 

Hopefull Romantic

Hi Daikonmike and welcome to the forum.

to answer your question NO it would not affect the flavor in any way. However, you should season the smoker without any meat for the first time. Just run it with smoke only for one hour.

As for cleaning the smoker, the only parts you clean inside are the racks, the bowl and the drip tray. Never clean the sides. The more you smoke the better seasoned you smoker becomes. You could clean the seal on the door and the surface it touches on the smoker frm to avoid the sticking together. I use rubbing alcohol for that. I also dismantle the vent on top every so often and clean that as well.

Most people have done the Jalapinos here and they are called ABT (atomic buffallo turds.).

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Hopefull Romantic

Quarlow

Hello Daikonmike and welcome to the forum,your goingto like it here. No I smoke fish all the time and it does not effect the flavours of other things at all. You might think it would nut for some reasonI suppose because the smoke is so strong it wipes out any food odour. Someone with more knowledge will come along and probably give a better reason why but I smoke cheese and almonds and you would think that those would soak up anything adverse and they don't. See 2 people answered you before I could finish typing. lol
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Ka Honu

Haven't tried making my own chipotles yet (tough to get red jalapenos here) but always kinda wanted to.  I Googled "how to make chipotle peppers" and found lots of info.    Let us know how it goes.

classicrockgriller

Hiya DM and welcome to forum. See how easy it is to get the answers you want, just ask. That is a hellofadeal on your smoker and makes the meat taste a little sweeter. Hope to see you around the forum. Keep the smoke rolling.

daikonmike

Wow, everyone is nice AND helpful, Thanks to you all! I think I'm gonna like this place, I have lots of questions.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: daikonmike on October 11, 2009, 01:14:03 PM
Wow, everyone is nice AND helpful, Thanks to you all! I think I'm gonna like this place, I have lots of questions.

We do require a fee in return.

You have to keep us posted with your progress and you must post some picture... please.

HR

KyNola

Welcome aboard Mike and congrats on a great score of a Bradley for $100.

Let us know how we can help you my friend.  You may not know it yet but you have many new friends all over the world.

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Mike! Nice job on getting a Bradley for $100. Fire away with the questions
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Mike.  Great deal on that smoker and have fun with it. Pensrock seems to be the go to guy with question on peppers. He grows a number of varieties and smokes, drys and grinds them also.
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Welcome to the forum Mike.  Lots of answers to just about any question you can ask.  We jump at the opportunity to help, especially the newbies.  As HR said the reward is great - we get to see lots of pics of some great food! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Welcome to the fun of smoking

WOW you got a hell of a deal on that smoker.

Watch out this kind of smoking is very addictive.

watchdog56