New to Forum

Started by willy56, October 11, 2009, 12:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy56

Hello,
I have had my Bradley Smoker for about 1 1/2 years and have used it less then 10 times as my wife and son find some items taste too heavily smoked for their taste.

I have wanted to try cold smoking salmon (I live on Canada's west coast on Vancouver Island) but was unsure how to achieve this with the Bradley Smoker.
I have a length of flexable aluminum vent pipe and was going to tape it to the smoker and wire it over the generator to get some distance and temp drop in the smoke.  Now I see Bradley has come out with a Cold Smoke adaptor that uses the same system.

Any one try a system similar to mine before the Adaptor was released?

Love to hear the results.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum willy56!

Have you tried only using one hour of smoke ?

I have used a cardboard box and dryer vent tube as a cold smoke setup. It works great.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Once again FLBR, I am right behind you.  Welcome Willy.  FLBR has you going on the right direction.  Get a cardboard box, big enough to hold the water pan.  Cut a hole in the side to allow the puck burner to slide into the box over the water pan.  Next cut a hole in the top of the box and attach your flex pipe to the box and the tower.  Smoke away.

The Bradley cold smoke adapter works really well.  I like mine.

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

And I am right behind you KY.

Willy welcome to the forum and it seems you have some of nicest folks already helping you on the subject. I also have the Bradley cold smoke adaptor and I love it. As a matter of fact I am cold smoking cheese as I type this post. However, many members are using makedo cold smoke as KY has discribed.

Good luck.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

willy56

The Cold Smoke Adaptor looks like it works quite well and will hook up to the smoker better then leaving a messy tape residue on the side of the smoker.
I may have to break down and buy one.
Just cheap, I guess.

Until I discovered the Bradley Smoker I was keeping an eye out for a small old fridge to convert..

classicrockgriller

wily, welcome to the forum. As you can see, helpful people here and if you have a need just ask.

Come back and sit awhile and chew the fat.

Tenpoint5

Willy, Welcome aboard. The guys have already helped you with the cold smoke adapter. Now we have to work on the "too heavily smoked taste" I am venturing to guess that you smoked for the entire cook time which is too much try only smoking for 1-2 hours max. Since you found the forum you will get all the help you need all you have to do is ask. In the mean time check out the recipe site and see what ideas you might get from there.
Here is the link to the recipe site. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=9c176c070cf081c94beffd28f81b74d0&f=180
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Hi willy56;

Welcome to the forum.

Here is a more detail description on how to make your own cold smoke setup with a cardboard box. Using a 4" hose you do not need any tape to secure it to the smoker. The hose fits snugly into the opening. You may want to use tape about the connection on the box.

Cardboard Box Cold Smoke Setup

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

Welcome Aboard willy56..
SIA

OU812

Welcome to the fun

I'm with 10.5 on the "to heavily smoked" as you dont need smoke rolling the whole time your product is in the smoker. 2 to 4 hr tops, the rest of the time is just cooking and some of the wood is more robust that others.
Try some Apple for a lighter flavor.

Fish and poultry absorb the smoke faster than the red meat, go lightly on them.

willy56

Thanks for all the great advice folks.
I have been applying the smoke for the whole time and now see that it is an unnecessary amount of time.

I have been asked to hot smoke some salmon for my wife's cafe so that is next up.
Outside temp may be an issue as it's getting down to under 10C around here now.

I will spend some time checking out other posts about this on the site.

Great to be here, if only for the short amounts of time I can get here for.

muzzletim

Welcome Willy 56!!! Good bunch of people here.
Tim