First OBS Roast Beef

Started by ArnieM, October 12, 2009, 09:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I got some ideas and suggestions in this http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11849.0 thread.

When I saw the advert for Sirloin Roast at 1.99/lb from my local store, I went and got one (Saturday night).  That was without my reading glasses.  I took it out of the fridge Sunday and looked at the label.

So, all you Texans, is this supposed to be the same as a "Sirloin Roast"?  ???

Anyway, I did a very light rub of S&P and garlic powder per suggestions.  The whole goal here was to be able to taste beef when all was said and done.

I gave it one hour of Oak and then continued until it hit my IT.  Vent wide open, running about 235.  It was 61 outside.

I pulled it out and an FTC for about an hour.

Meanwhile, get the rest of the stuff together.

• Russet potatoes, peeled, cubed and boiled in lightly salted water with about six medium size cloves of garlic, smashed.
  • Fresh green beans with four smashed garlic cloves, boiled (quickly) in lightly salted water.
  • Gravy - a roux from butter, OO and flour.  Beef broth, fresh ground black pepper and a dash each of chipotle powder and garlic powder.

Get the beast out and set it up.

Only sliced some.  Put the rest in the fridge.  I'll slice it up thinner for sammies when it's cold.

FINALLY, time to chow down.

That was some of the best roast beast I've ever had!

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

FLBentRider

That looks good!

You just set off a hungry monster right before lunch EDT!

;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Nice job on the roast Arnie!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

KyNola

Nice going Arnie.  That roast looks great!

KyNola

squirtthecat

Awesome!   Good price, too!

Hopefull Romantic

Great Job and looks like a very wll balanced meal.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

pensrock

Great job Arnie. See, if I can do it anybody can.  :)

smokeitall

Real nice looking roast...those sammies are going to be great..
SIA

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Thanks for the comments/compliments everyone.  I brought home the beef and the conversation went something like this:

W: Can't you just make 'regular' food.  Ya know, no smoke?
Nope.  If you don't like it, don't eat it.

At the dinner table:
W:  OMG.  This is the best roast beef I've ever had!

Score another one for the OBS  ;D

Now, I have to slice up what's left (quite a bit) and package it.  I'll probably give some to my daughters and freeze some.  Where's Ka Honu when you need him  ??? ??? ;D

-- Arnie

Pachanga

The sirloin and the top round and the  are two different cuts of meat.  The round is further back on the cow but the round and sirloin are neighbors.  Sirloin is located a little more forward.  The sirloin is a little more desirable because it is more marbled and tender.  Round  refers to the rear of the cow and is a working muscle, hence, leaner and tougher. 

It looks like you did everything prefect and pulled it out at the right time.  Nice smoke job.  I'm a sucker for any mashed potatoes and brown gravy, but garlic mashed potatoes are even better.  Perfect side for this rare piece of meat and the beans add a complementary color to the red meat.  And of course you just had to top it off with a generous pat of butter.  Wonderful looking dish.  Great food deserves a nice presentation.  Taste begins with a feast for the eye.

Pachanga

Caneyscud

Quote from: ArnieM on October 12, 2009, 11:15:03 AM
T
At the dinner table:
W:  OMG.  This is the best roast beef I've ever had!

Score another one for the OBS  ;D

Correction - score another one for Arnie!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking roast beef there Arnie. Even better, it sounds like you scored big points with your wife. Next thing you know, she will asking what your smoking next.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Thanks for the info Pachanga.  I think the stores tend to play a bit fast and loose with their descriptions.  This store seems to be selling some good stuff at a good price sometimes.  I checked with the butcher on one of the tenderloins once and he said it was USDA Select.  That's about one level above dog food to me (really, I like dogs).  This one was USDA Choice.

The potatoes were hand-mashed with a couple of TBS of salted butter and buttermilk.  Then, the gravy ...

Well, I have to go.  My chicken breasts stuffed with Thai peppers and goat cheese, wrapped in bacon (you can wrap cardboard in bacon) are nearly ready.  I'll be back with a thread and pics.
-- Arnie

Pachanga

Buttermilk is a staple ingredient at my house.  I use it along with cream (and should I mention real butter) in mashed potatoes.  Another good choice you have made.  I appreciate the ingredients you use.

Pachanga