Cod

Started by Jerry E, October 19, 2009, 05:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry E

I Have smoked a lot of Salmon and all has gone perfect.
Now I would like to branch out to Skinless Boneless Pacific Cod.
Anybody have ideas?

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Jerry E!

I've not smoked cod, but it was discussed here a while back. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to chime in.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

I have smoked cod once and it was smoked on the stove using a very well sealed pot and loose tea leaves to smoke it. I  just cant find the recipe. If I do, I will send it to you.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

manxman

Hi Jerry E,

I posted this a while ago on the forum but I have just cut and pasted from my recipe file to save having to search for it, the original was for cold smoked pollack but it applies equally well to any whitefish including cod:

Skinless boneless fillets are brined in 80% brine for about an hour. This is for fillets from fish in the 7 - 10lb region, fillets from smaller fish should be brined less. A weaker brine could be used with a longer soak.

Rinse the fillets briefly under cold water, pat dry and put on the Bradley Smoker racks, store overnight in the fridge to allow to dry completely and become slightly tacky. (pellicle formation)

I use the non-stick coated racks with smaller mesh size, much better IMO for more delicate items such a fish.

Cold smoke for around 4-5 hours usind the cold smoke method highlighted below, the length of time can be varied according to taste. I like mine quite strongly smoked:

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

I generally use oak pucks, but apple or a combination of both works well, the temperature should not go above about 75F - 80F.

When smoking is complete wrap the fillets in foil or cling film and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.

Serving suggestion:

Wrap fillet in foil after basting with small amount melted butter together with some coarse ground black pepper. Cook for around 20 minutes at about 340F / 170C. Serve with new potatoes and choice of vegetable.

The fillets can be frozen and vacuum sealed, they store well this way.  :)
Manxman