Making and Smoking farmers cheese, first time !!!

Started by AKinGA, October 13, 2009, 05:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum AK.  That's nice looking cheese.  I've bought "farmer's cheese" before but it usually came in a rectangular block.  I'd like to second other's comments and ask for some details on how you make.  My stomach is growling.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: monty on October 14, 2009, 11:24:33 AM
AKinGA - what is next? smoked burek?  :D

welcome to the forum

I had to google borek but it looks really good as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

If this is good and I am sure it is......it would make some really nice personalized Christmass gifts for family......AND.......you get to play with your Bradley.

So I take it you don't have to age the smoke with this cheese like you do with already processed cheese. But can you to get an even deeper smoke taste?

OU812

Welcome to the fun AK

Thats some fine looking cheese, I really like the one you sliced with the rack.

I smoked some farmers cheese last month, bought it at the store though.

Watch out this type of smoking is very addictive

AKinGA

OU812 - I wouldn't mind buying it, I just have not seen it here anywhere (Atlanta, GA) to buy.  But for now it's really not that bad, about 20 minutes of work per cheese and then slap into the smoker.

classicrockgriller - No aging needed.  But I am sure if you were to vacuum pack it and leave it be for a while the smoke would penetrate quite well and good.

monty - Never know, but I don't think burk could make it past my mouth into the smoker  :), I like it way too much.

Mr Walleye -  Thanks for the info.  Will take a look.

I will see if I can post some pictures of the making process, I was going to make some more cheese today and take pictures along the way but mom beat me to it while I was at work, she was off work and bored I guess, 6 Gallons of milk bored !!!  But here is some pictures of the final product before smoking it.  And of course my favorite in use on macaroni (you can use any type of pasta) !

MY FAVORITE !!!  in use !!!!

ArnieM

Ak, PLEASE, some instructions on making the cheese.  Either that or ship your mom up here  ;D
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

Quote from: ArnieM on October 14, 2009, 06:10:16 PM
Ak, PLEASE, some instructions on making the cheese.  Either that or ship your mom up here  ;D

Or Down here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

deb415611

Wow, that looks awesome.  I have made ricotta before and it's awesome.  I'm going to try making mozzarella next.  I keep looking at a class that teaches how to make aged cheeses but I really don't need another hobby (another expensive hobby at that).

classicrockgriller

Caneyscud

Quote from: deb415611 on October 15, 2009, 04:26:11 AM
Wow, that looks awesome.  I have made ricotta before and it's awesome.  I'm going to try making mozzarella next.  I keep looking at a class that teaches how to make aged cheeses but I really don't need another hobby (another expensive hobby at that).

Right there with you Deb!  Made yogurt cheese, ricotta, mozzarella, curds, but nothing needing a mold or aging.  But I really want to.  Where is that aged cheese class.  Cannot find one around here.  Tried to get a couple who does sheeps milk and goats milk cheeses to let me help - but they wouldn't.  I really like aged sheepsmilk and goats milk cheeses and that is what I want to learn to do.  Also can't find anyone who will sell me gallons of either sheeps milk or goat milk either.  So I might also have to buy some land, and learn sheep and goat husbandry.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeitall

Quote from: deb415611 on October 15, 2009, 04:26:11 AM

I have made Mozzarella several times....be careful it makes it real hard to buy any from a store after making your own.  That reminds me I think I should make some this weekend for my company.
SIA

deb415611

Caney

http://www.cheesemaking.com/cheesemakingworkshops.html

I'm a couple hours away from his place. 

I just started buying "groceries" from a place that buys from all the local farms in CT  & then delivers to customers.  I now have access to raw milk and milk that's not ultra pasteurized.  I think they have goats milk also. 

Deb

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on October 15, 2009, 06:22:12 PM
Caney

http://www.cheesemaking.com/cheesemakingworkshops.html

I'm a couple hours away from his place. 

I just started buying "groceries" from a place that buys from all the local farms in CT  & then delivers to customers.  I now have access to raw milk and milk that's not ultra pasteurized.  I think they have goats milk also. 

Deb

Deb;

Thanks for that link. Both locations are about a 2 hour drive from my location also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)